Brewing for a wedding...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xalwine

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, one of my friends from college is getting married. I recently made a 5 gallon keg for my sisters wedding and it went wonderfully. The only difference is...

He wants 6 kegs for a wedding with only 100+- people.

I've explained to him how much beer that is, but he is worried about running out.

It would be about 10 gallons of 3 different beers.

I'm trying to see that it is his wedding, but I only have 6 kegs, and I'd like to have these done and ready at least 1 month before the wedding so it can age on gas.

I'm just worried about 1, having to much and wasting my keg space, and 2, transporting 6 kegs across 4 states. (PA-NC).

So am I being ridiculous in not wanting to do that much, or is it really a little overkill?

Does it have to be all or nothing? Why not make 2-3 kegs and buy the other kegs in NC?

Oh, forgot to answer your question. 6 kegs for that many people seems like overkill to me if one criteria for a successful wedding is remembering it. If you make 2-3 kegs and plan to buy the rest.... you can make a game day decision on how much beer will actually be needed.

Dude, tell him you're willing to help him by doing whatever you're comfortable with. If he throws a fit, tell him, fine, buy kegs of bud!

well the only problem with buying the kegs is he's trying to keep things cheep. I'm gifting 3 kegs. but the rest is substantially cheaper with home-brew.

Each corny is 40 pints. 6 x 40 = 240 pints. For 100 people that's 2.4 pints each. But you he to figure the not all people will drink beer, while other will drink way more then 2.4 pints.

Tell him you'll need him to buy you 3 more cornies. That way you gave 3 of your own to keep your pipeline flowing and 9 kegs once the wedding is over.

Special Hops said:
Each corny is 40 pints. 6 x 40 = 240 pints. For 100 people that's 2.4 pints each. But you he to figure the not all people will drink beer, while other will drink way more then 2.4 pints.

I use the rule of thumb: one pint per man per hour and half for a woman.

Entertained 160 people last weekend for two nights of drinking. Killed the last pint just before close on the second night.

I just did a wedding for 100 with four kegs and four different brews. We poured pints. Everybody enjoyed the beer, there was plenty to go around, we didn't pour out partial filled glasses after everybody left and nobody had to be driven home or became total jerks because they over did. We also served 12 gal of lemmonaid and additional water. I have done a number of weddings and this is pretty much the standard that I do as far as ratio of beer to adult guests. I am not willing to be named as a provider in a DUI situation at a gathering where I know the Bride and Groom and some of the other guests but not most. If you have not done it before it becomes a far amount of work....enjoyable as it may be....by the time you make, transport, serve the beer and then clean up. In addition to purchase of the brew I ended up buying 120 lbs of ice. I also jump transfer all of the kegs that I have to transport, except wheat, so I used 7 kegs in the process. You can cut down on some consumption if you only make one or two kinds of beer. If your beer is good, everybody wants to taste each one. I also brew all of the beers that I serve in that situation under 6% ABV. Don't get me wrong...I love doing it but I also think that it is wise to think it through before you do it and end up with a problem or angry.

Badhabit, you're jump transferring before you move the kegs to remove sediment right? I've been wrangled into doing a similar amount of beer for a wedding next September and I'm worried one of the beers will end up cloudy after transport due to using the chico strain.

Badhabit, you're jump transferring before you move the kegs to remove sediment right? I've been wrangled into doing a similar amount of beer for a wedding next September and I'm worried one of the beers will end up cloudy after transport due to using the chico strain.

well with a year head start I would think you could transfer the beer before you moved them.

It might be useful to get a feel for the guest list and their habits. I was just at wedding with ~110-120 people that polished off 3 15.5 gallon kegs of homebrew in one night, and the bartenders were pouring tiny glasses (12 ounces max). We're all pretty young, so about half the group was in the 22-26 range with a big contingent of beer-drinking family members in attendance.

Yep, about two weeks before I move them. Just make sure that you remember to cool the kegs before you jump transfer or you will end up transfering foam.

He wants 6 kegs for a wedding with only 100+- people.

So am I being ridiculous in not wanting to do that much, or is it really a little overkill?

I would politely refuse to make any beer for the wedding. It will be a giant hassle to transport that many kegs, co2, serving gear, etc. all while you are trying to enjoy yourself at the wedding. It's admirable that you want to try this, but the risk and aggravation don't seem to be worth the rewards.

I would politely refuse to make any beer for the wedding. It will be a giant hassle to transport that many kegs, co2, serving gear, etc. all while you are trying to enjoy yourself at the wedding. It's admirable that you want to try this, but the risk and aggravation don't seem to be worth the rewards.

Well I've transported a keg for a wedding before, I have a mini van, and a means to strap them all down, so the transporting part isn't that bad. Plus tending bar for tips is a nice boost :D

I told him that I can do 3 kegs with no problem. If he wants the other 3, he'll have to cover "travel costs". So it will make it a little easier to take. Plus with the "travel costs" i can get more kegs.

So we will see. The wedding isnt until next June, so I have some time.

Back