Brewing Education

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dotes

Reaction score
I am quite new to brewing but I am looking for a career change and the brewing idustry is very interesting to me. What do you think about diploma and certificate programs? Is that what employers look for in new brewers and brew assistants? Or is brewing experience more important than education? I would hate to take a 15,000 dollar program and find out that it did not really give me a leg up. Also does anyone know of any good pratcical brewing short courses?

Thanks!

I have the same question. My issue is that I hear it doesn't pay well. I would be fine making a small amount of money if it was something I liked doing, but I need to be able to put food (and beer :D) on the table.

As a business major, I would look for a combination of education and expierence.

If you are fresh out of brew school and have no expierence (not even homebrewing), I would pass.

If you have had the obsession for a few years and have educated yourself through travels, books, classes and experimentation, promising and automatic interview.

Of course, I would figure out what your skill and knowledge level is with an interview and tasting of one or two of your brews.

From what I have read, unless you are head brewer or brewery owner it is on par with a fast food position. = low pay and mostly cleaning and more cleaning.

The top positions are available only on new startups and through attrition. Relatively few and far between.

And with major companies it would just be measuring and brewing to recipes created decades ago. Over and over and over again.

Good luck though.

I guess I should clarify that those scenarios would be for a brewer position.

Packaging/brew house helper: like beer? Don't mind getting dirty, wet or moving heavy things? Legal requirements? Passion to learn about beer? Hired.

* Work at a mid-sized brewery (regional, large craft) for three years. Pick an established brewery and learn as much as you can. Preferably > 75,000 bbls per year size.
* While doing so, apply for UC Davis.
* Complete UC Davis program in year 4.
* Complete (if you haven't) a BS degree.
* Work for a year or two at a big brewery....(seriously)
* Now you are set....

Back