Brewing Degree Course Textbooks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullhog

Reaction score
Does anyone have a list of the textbooks that are used in the brewing programs these days, Siebel or UC Davis? I'm sure they are way to expensive and overboard for a home brewer, but I am interested in what those guys are learning from.

Does anyone have a list of the textbooks that are used in the brewing programs these days, Siebel or UC Davis? I'm sure they are way to expensive and overboard for a home brewer, but I am interested in what those guys are learning from.
It's been a very long since i attended college, but at least the internet existed then. Iirc, classes were listed on-line, and usually the required textbooks, too. I bet a quick search of the uc davis website will give you some titles.
Then use the amazon/ebay and pick up the last version for pennies on the dollar.

Let us know what you find. I’m going to do some research online as well but what a great idea.

Last I searched I couldn't find syllabi online with that level of detail. I don't think most universities actually publish that kind of information publicly.

I'd be keen to learn what textbooks people used in their programs too. Especially about the biology side of things.

Ya'll are going to have a rough go of finding anything unfortunately due to many universities going digital.

I finished my second masters degree a year ago...and the university made the switch to all digital textbooks/learning materials 5+ years ago...its much cheaper for them to renew the digital subscriptions than to purchase the actual texts.

If you really want to give it a go though, go to the university bookstore and look for student textbooks. You'll have to search through their but you'll need the department and the professor.

EDIT: You can also go the uni library website and may be able to search that way as well.

Good luck!

I'm just curious if anybody can offer the name of any textbooks that they particularly liked? I presume any textbook you've used has a publisher that will accept my money 🤑. @Sammy86 any reason you don't want to share the title of any of your favorites?

(p.s. I've never been to a university where non-students can access the university library, since that's one of the privileges of enrollment.)

Jean De Clerck, A Textbook of Brewing

Wolfgang Kunze, Technology Brewing and Malting

Briggs, Malts and Malting

These are some of the texts I've learned from. There are more modern texts that add to these but these will provide a solid foundation for the Malting, Wort Production, Hop Cooking and Fermentation steps of the brewing process.

(p.s. I've never been to a university where non-students can access the university library, since that's one of the privileges of enrollment.)
Not sure where you live, but since in USA the "state" school systems (i.e. tax payer supported) are paid for by all tax payers, the libraries are open to all. I am not sure if you can always check books out to take home, but you can for sure go in, read, and even ask a reference librarian for help!
At least i know this for a fact in California, but pretty sure it's the same in all 50 states.

True private schools (and yes, don't get me started- they also take tax payer money but that's a rant for another section) may have different policies.

Last I searched I couldn't find syllabi online with that level of detail. I don't think most universities actually publish that kind of information publicly.

I'd be keen to learn what textbooks people used in their programs too. Especially about the biology side of things.
Undergrad or postgrad? Brewing is such a multidisciplinary endeavor there aren’t really any core scientific textbooks that cover a university degree course. Reading lists are determined by the module and biases of the lecturer(s) delivering it. If there is a recommended textbook for a given module it’s more a gentle intro before hitting the recommended research papers that support the lectures. In terms of the biology of brewing I’d say something like 978-1405152686 is a good place to start.

any reason you don't want to share the title of any of your favorites?

Bro, ive got three kids 5 and under...i dont have time to get a brewing certificate...i barely have time to brew beer let alone get a certificate for it!

I barely finished my second masters in education for a 300 buck a month pay increase as a teacher.

Then you're not visiting the right university or using the online circulation...i literally went to UC Davis Bookstore and found the courses, semester and books in a matter of minutes. Not that difficult if you know what to do/how to look.

...i literally went to UC Davis Bookstore and found the courses, semester and books in a matter of minutes.

The bookstore is a good idea too. The next time I'm up in Davis I'll definitely raid the brewing books 😇.

In terms of the biology of brewing I’d say something like 978-1405152686 is a good place to start.

That's an amazing recommendation! Thank you! And thanks for the syllabi.

I just looked on Amazon

@madscientist451 any that you have experience with? I noticed a few on Amazon that seemed pretty suspect from the reviews. (Always a problem on Amazon, so sometimes it's hard to tell)

Then you're not visiting the right university or using the online circulation...i literally went to UC Davis Bookstore and found the courses, semester and books in a matter of minutes. Not that difficult if you know what to do/how to look.

Right--you may not be able to check out books or access all of the electronic resources without a student ID but I've never seen a public college or university not allow people to walk right into the main library and read. Heck, I went to a private university for law school and the public could enter the law library to read or go in the bookstore and see book lists for all the classes.

FWIW, here are the books I was assigned for my Brewing Certificate:

Practical Handbook for the Specialty Brewer, Vol 1-3
(very good series of books on the nuts and bolts of running a brewery)
  • Karl Ockert, editor
  • Product Detail - Practical Handbook for the Specialty Brewer, Vol 1-3
    • Practical Handbook for the Specialty Brewer: Raw Materials and Brewhouse Operations, Volume 1; ISBN: 978-0-9770519-1-5
    • Practical Handbook for the Specialty Brewer: Fermentation, Cellaring, and Packaging Operations Volume 2; ISBN: 978-0-9770519-2-2
    • Practical Handbook for the Specialty Brewer: Brewing, Engineering, and Plant Operations, Volume 3; ISBN: 978-0-9770519-3-9
  • Publisher: Master Brewers Association of the Americas

Mastering Brewing Science: Quality and Production
(dry AF, but all the nitty gritty of the science of brewing)

The Microbrewery Handbook: Craft, Brew, and Build Your Own Microbrewery Success
(Not a textbook, but a light and breezy, easy read about starting your own brewery.)

Tasting Beer, 2nd Edition: An Insider's Guide to the World's Greatest Drink
(probably familiar to most of you. Excellent book)

Brewing Elements Series from The Brewers Association
(This popular series from the BA is great detailed info on the ingredients)

A Handbook of Basic Brewing Calculations
(if you want to understand the math behind all those online brewing calculators, this is the book.)

Latest posts

Back