Brewing California common

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bertoochy

Reaction score
not much is happening during fermentation. After one day of fermenting nothing notable occurred no real bubbling activity. Finally small time bubbling happened but lasted a short time. Does this mean my beer is likely ruined ?

Yup. Give it a week to condition, bottle it up, another three weeks to assure transportational stability, then ship the bottles to me for disposal.

...seriously, though, appearance/airlock activity are notoriously poor indicators of yeast activity, you could have a small leak in your airlock or bucket seal, or maybe the krausen rose then dropped again between when you were looking, or maybe the yeast was just stealthy.

Take a gravity reading, this will tell you if your yeast have made progress. Take another one in a couple days, this will tell you if they're still chewing away and finishing up (if it's still dropping a little) or if they're done (remains stable over a couple days' readings).

not much is happening during fermentation. After one day of fermenting nothing notable occurred no real bubbling activity. Finally small time bubbling happened but lasted a short time. Does this mean my beer is likely ruined ?

It might take longer that one day for fermentation to begin.
I brewed a Cali common and I think it took 48+ hrs before I saw signs.
What temp are you fermenting at? What yeast are you using and what temp did you pitch the yeast at?

No, your beer is probably not ruined. Give it three weeks then take a gravity reading. It should be done by then.

I assume you used a Cali Common type yeast? I've used Wyeast 2112 (California Lager) several times, and it is a quiet yeast that doesn't produce a lot of bubbles.

Hah thanks beerthoven. I will take a gravity reading and report back.

Latest posts

Back