Brewing as Prepper Skill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oberon67

Reaction score
It occurred to me that when the zombie apocalypse comes, brewing might not be a bad skill to have. After you've taken on dozens of shambling undead, it would be nice to sit down and relax with a nice homebrewed pale ale at day's end.

Not to mention, if you know how to make beer, the others in your party might make it a priority to keep you alive. You can always trade beer for anti-zombie ammunition right? :mug:

It occurred to me that when the zombie apocalypse comes, brewing might not be a bad skill to have. After you've taken on dozens of shambling undead, it would be nice to sit down and relax with a nice homebrewed pale ale at day's end.

Not to mention, if you know how to make beer, the others in your party might make it a priority to keep you alive. You can always trade beer for anti-zombie ammunition right? :mug:

Solid argument, and I think the same way. However, I really try to avoid letting my friends know how much beer I've got sitting in my basement. Figure I'll lock myself down there, let the apocalypse run its' course, and then see who's left around and wants to party.

Solid argument, and I think the same way. However, I really try to avoid letting my friends know how much beer I've got sitting in my basement. Figure I'll lock myself down there, let the apocalypse run its' course, and then see who's left around and wants to party.

Better make sure your basement includes a place to pee. :drunk:

And, truth to tell, you can malt corn, wheat, and rice as easy as barley. Won't make as good a beer, but it'll be beer, and that's something.

lol - I have thought this exact thing on several occasions.

It's the #1 reason I started. I will be indispensable when the fit hits the shan.

Yep, that's why I don't let my friends know about my stockpile. They are all worthless, and the last thing I need is them coming around to drink my beer while I'm machete-ing and shotgunning zombies. Losers wouldn't even make good gun caddys.

I can brew, smoke meat (bbq), and have an engineering degree. The way I see it, I'm going to be swimming in bitches. Or riches. Or what have you.

I built my first truck out of scrap parts, can cook anything that has feet, have made many household appliances continue operating just out of sheer will, and now I'm learning fermentation science. In my teen years I could shoot a pretty tight grouping at 40 yards with iron sights. I have access to thirty acres a mile and a half off the highway, another five miles from town.

Yeah, I'm set.

I am actually doing a presentation on this in May for a group of like minded friends. Going over the basics of wine and mead but focusing on beer and doing it without electricity. Yeast harvest, Season appropriate brews, that sort of thing.

Beer ought to be valuable trade goods, at any rate.

The trick is to work out ahead of time some alternate sources for brewing supplies, or even alternate ingredients in case some items become unobtainable. I think brewing with adjuncts would be a good skill to cultivate.

This is a good reason why some guys plant hop vines in their backyards.

This sounds crazy, but I have thought about it. No visions of a zombie apocalypse here. I have been watching the series Falling Skies and thinking about my skills. Beer brewing is definately what I would consider a high value skill.

Back