Brewing and scents

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melkain

Reaction score
So I have the misfortune of living in a condo. I'm trying to convince my wife to let me brew up some mead, but she's vetoing it on the grounds that she knows beer has a rather pungent scent while being brewed. Does mead do this as well? I'd really like to give brewing some a try (especially since honey is plentiful and cheap for me since my father is a beekeeper.)

Personally I don't think fermenting beer has that much of a smell unless you stick your face in it. Never made mead but I'm sure the smell is even less.

I do my fermenting in a non used bathroom, in the tub, in case of overflows. And yes, during the initial fermentation process there is a strong aroma of the yeast as you enter that bathroom. Almost smells like bread baking. However after a while, it is less pronounced and the aroma then takes on the flavor of your mead.

At least that is how it has been for me.

If you make tupelo mead, it smells like vanilla sheet cake while brewing. All other meads don't have much of a noticeable smell. Non-descript sweet honey smell as long as you feed the yeast nutrients and don't let them get starved/stressed.

As far as beer, it depends on the yeast. US05 and S33 don't really smell. Neither does Wyeast 1388 in mead or beer. Wyeast 3787 will run you out of the house the first few days!

Better brewing through science!

As far as beer, it depends on the yeast. US05 and S33 don't really smell. Neither does Wyeast 1388 in mead or beer. Wyeast 3787 will run you out of the house the first few days!

Better brewing through science!

So will WPL380. That initial sulfur smell can turn anyone off.

I tend to use wine yeasts and have never found any unpleasant aromas associated with well fed yeast. Never considered the smell of fermenting mead as anything noticeable. Apart from the first few days you are sealing the mead in a container with a water lock to allow the CO2 to escape. Not sure that much alcohol can escape thru that filter an CO2 does not typically have a smell...

Well, if OP is referring to the "brewing of beer" having a scent while actually brewing it, then no worries with mead, as it need not be "brewed," just mixed, (in most cases, unless it's a bochet) Fermentation smells are negligible, really. The worst part about making mead is the insufferable wait for it to be ready, compared to beer....but it's worth it

Latest posts

Back