Brewing a stout/porter...want chocolate coffee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hgdsraj

Reaction score
Hi all, had lots fo questions this week.

Im brewing a totally experimental porter.

Basically i used LME along with steeped chocolate malt, oatmeal and roasted barley, hopped for 60 (1oz) and dry hopped/flameout (removed the 1oz but put another .375oz in chilling wort and left in primary.) Dry hopping is uncommon for a stout...but its an experiment. I also added about a cup of lactose with 15 minutes left in boil. Expected yield is 5gal. I want a silky and coffee/chocolate flavor and am thinking of adding some cold brewed coffee to secondary (racking to secondary on saturday.) I was wondering if i could steep cocao powder with the coffee to create a chocolaty cold brewed coffee and add some sucrose or corn sugar too combat the slight bitterness of the chocolate. Assuming sucrose will ferment less and combat the bitterness better. Was essentially hoping to steep cocao and coffee in cold water (lots of coffee) for 2 days and add a boiled solution of sugar and water to this, then add to secondary.

I would think about aging on cocoa nibs and adding the cold brewed coffee at bottling/kegging.

Don't add the extra sugar.

I would think about aging on cocoa nibs and adding the cold brewed coffee at bottling/kegging.

Don't add the extra sugar.

Would i find cocoa nibs at my local supermarket? Or a specialty store? Live in Canada so supermarket would be superstore

I think you're on the right track with the cold coffee brew. I agree with the above to not add sugar. After cold steeping the coffee, I'd heat it to 160 F to kill bacteria, cool with a lid on and then add to the beer.

If it's a grocery with a large spice selection they probably have them, home brew shops usually have them too.

I actually bought my cacao nibs from Amazon, from a small vendor that uses them as a marketplace. They were great quality too.

My local Vitamin Shoppe had cacao nibs, so if you have one of those or a health food place nearby, check it out.

Both sucrose and corn sugar will ferment completely. Since there is more 'sugar' in sucrose (for the same weight), sucrose will leave the beer drier.

Also, adding sugar will give you a drier beer than if you didn't add it. Since sugar ferments complely, it will result in a lower final gravity to any beer you add it too. Depending on the amount, it may or may not be measurable, but it will be lower.

Amazon has nibs and your lhbs prob will too. As far as coffee I did a steep of grounds post boil in my first choc coffee stout and it had great aroma but def astringency and it killed the head. Just re brewed and used whole beans in primary and it's so much better but I've also heard the cold steeped coffee at bottling is popular too.

I'd use between 4 to 4.75 ounces of nibs for 5 gallons.

If you feel you must add more sugar (which is absolutely fine), use more lactose. I've seen 5 gallon chocolate milk stout recipes that call for a full pound of it.

Doesn't really help you now, but I've heard of people adding unsweetened bakers chocolate during the boil.

I have done this many times. Here is how I add chocolate and coffee.
1-I use unsweetened coco powder in the boil.....1 oz in 2 gallon batch.....add in the last 5 min of the boil
2-I use cold brewed coffee added to the bottling bucket.......8 oz to a 2 gallon batch. Have never boiled the coffee nor have I had an infection.

Good Luck

Back