Brewing a Michelada

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AK7007

Reaction score
So, the troll thread that has been blowing up all morning started out mentioning something about ketchup in beer. That got me thinking of Micheladas - could you brew one and put it on tap? Or would it be something that would settle out into a gross mess?

I thought it could be an interesting thought experiment - how would you go about doing it? Making a cream ale with something like Sorachi Ace and anchovy (worcheshire is basically fermented anchovy and malt vinegar), then mixing with salt, lime, and tomato in the keg?

How would you go about it? (and no, just making them one at a time isn't an answer, we can already do that, even though it's the correct answer)

in Mexico there is a beer Called SOL-Clamato, is a canned michelada with all the ingredients on it.

don't now how they do it but its possible :D.

There was a michelada brewed locally in Angel City brewery that contained tomato juice, Sriracha, lime juice, agave, pickled banana pepper juice and Worcestershire Sauce (http://angelcitybrewery.com/community/limited-release-srirachelada-available-in-22oz-bottles/)

It was amazingly drinkable and not overpowering in any way.
However, they don't even come close to the home-made ones.
IMO a clean lager with cold clamato, GENEROUS lemon juice, salt, a hint of Worcestershire, with some tajin and then served on a lemon-lined glass that's sprinkled with more tajin (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000GL6RK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20) is the best way to you.
You may even add a bit of crushed black pepper and tabasco sauce for heat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am using some Tajin in one of my beers for a contest at Rahr. Has anyone figured out a good ratio of grams per gallon for Tajin? I am leaning towards more than 2 grams per gallon, but am still deciding. About to keg my beer, but debating if I should add more.

Back