Brewing a late hop IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neonsilver

Reaction score
My last IPA (which was a double) is now gone, I gave my Dad the last one on Sunday. I'm realizing that I really like having some form of a hop beer around the house and my AAA is now almost gone as well. So that has brought me to the conclusion that I want to brew a mostly late addition IPA. I love smelling the hops before every drink but I want to keep this one closer to a normal drinking beer (say 5-6%), the DIPA was just under 9%. Also, I'm an extract brewer who's just starting to learn the different types of hops but I am finding out that I don't like amarillo until they have been around for a couple months. So this is what I need help with. What type of steeping grains and how much of them should I use to keep it to style? What type of hops do you guys like the best when they are used for flavoring and aroma?

This is what I'm thinking so far.

6 lbs extra light DME
steeping grains?

Warrior hops at 60 for bittering but how much? I'm thinking just an ounce or so to get my IBU's up to the range of style.
15 min hops?
5-0 min hops?
dry hops?

Poke around in the recipes section (Up in the top title bar between "brewspace" and "wiki"). There's some tried & true stuff in there, and some recipes are converted already for extract brewing. You'll be able to brew a winning recipe without having to re-invent the wheel, and you'll be able to see the ingredients, as well as maybe some different variations on the original.

Good luck with it.

I love hoppy beers as well, and i can tell you that for my IPA's I no longer uses any 60 or 45 minute additions. I use first wort hopping to get about 50% of my bitterness and the rest between 30 and 5 minutes. I have found first wort hopping to really take the harsh edge off of bittering hops like chinook and summit...it just seems to bring the best out.

Some folks will claim the that percieved bitterness is less with FWH....I haven't had any issues.

Check out Midwest's Hop Scare. I made some this weekend and have made it before and its always been great. Its @ 82 IBUs

Back