Brewing a full-bodied brown ale....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brownalemikie

Reaction score
Am just starting out as a home brewer and eventually want to brew a full body brown ale.....not watered down like New Castle brown ale. What would I add to a Caribou Slobber extract kit to intensify the flavor? I'm thinking maybe more steeping grains and malt extract. What say you? Thanks!

Instead of just steeping, just mash in at like 160degrees, and that higher temperature should create some fuller body by creating more unfermentable sugars. Or add 0.5lbs cara-pils aka dextrin malt. you would still have to mash to get any benefit.

Instead of just steeping, just mash in at like 160degrees, and that higher temperature should create some fuller body by creating more unfermentable sugars. Or add 0.5lbs cara-pils aka dextrin malt. you would still have to mash to get any benefit.

Unless you add some base grain, like 2 row, this is just adding more steeping grain and will not change things much.

Do a mini mash. Add a pound of 2-row to the steeping grains, mash at 154 degrees for 60 minutes.

Not sure what "mash" means. Would I still use a muslin bag?

Not sure what "mash" means. Would I still use a muslin bag?

Yes, you May .
Mash is the process whith which yo perform magic with malted grains to extract shugars and other substances that in turn are turned into beer by yeast...
Depending on mashing temperature you may adjust body and alcohol content...
Usually increasing one at the expense of decreasing the other

1 lb per how many gallons? Thanks!

Please don't just add oats to steeping grains- you'll end up with starch and not fermentable sugars.

In order to convert oats to fermentable sugars, it has to be part of a mash. A mash is where base grain is mixed with specialty grains (if needed) and held at a prescribed temperature for a prescribed time in a prescribed amount of water in order for the enzymes to convert the starches in the grains into fermentable sugars. Not to mention that oats are "oily" and "slick" and not really great at body building like flaked barley is.

If you want a full bodied brown ale, it would be best to start with a recipe for a full bodied brown ale, instead of a recipe kit for something else.

If you can find a kit for what you want, that would be one way. Another way would be to build a recipe from the ground up, and we can help you with that.

Dumping more grain or grains into an already balanced recipe kit is unlikely to yield good results.

Thanks guys! I think maybe I better get a few batches under my belt before attempting any mods in my brew. Has anyone compared Caribou Slobber to Newcastle brown ale? Just curious if my fermenting Slobber will have more flavor than Newcastle. Thanks

Am just starting out as a home brewer and eventually want to brew a full body brown ale.....not watered down like New Castle brown ale. What would I add to a Caribou Slobber extract kit to intensify the flavor? I'm thinking maybe more steeping grains and malt extract. What say you? Thanks!

It sounds like you've already figured it out, but I would just make their recipe as they intended and then see what you think or compare it to whatever.

Back