Brewing a Cream Ale tomorrow... any prep advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjperry52

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I posted here a while ago, explaining that I'm pretty new to brewing and am really looking to get my groove back. This is only going to be my 4th batch, and the previous 3 have been okay (for as far as an extract kit can go, and given that I did tougher styles).

Tomorrow I'm brewing a cream ale from an extract kit.
https://www.northernbrewer.com/products/cream-ale-extract-kit

I will be using the Safale US-05 dry yeast option for the yeast, and as of right now, do not plan to make a yeast starter. Would love to hear everyones thoughts on if its 1. necessary and if so 2. tips on how/when to get the starter going?

I bought gelatin finings as well, but I have never used this so if anyone has tips on that as well that would be appreciated. I know this is a pretty broad post, just looking for any props that will make tomorrows brew day go as smooth as possible!

Thanks

I will be using the Safale US-05 dry yeast option for the yeast, and as of right now, do not plan to make a yeast starter. Would love to hear everyones thoughts on if its 1. necessary and if so 2. tips on how/when to get the starter going?

One pack of dry yeast has more enough cells for that beer. Generally, I'd recommend avoiding starters with dry yeast whenever possible, because they are already in a fully "ready to go" state from a cell wall/budding perspective. And dry yeast is so cheap that if you need more cells, a second (or third, etc.) pack won't break the bank.

Having said that, if all I had were one pack of dry yeast, and I needed more cells for a particular batch, and I had no way of getting more packs in time, I would make a starter.

Just sprinkle the dry yeast on top of your cooled wort and wait for the magic.
As far as the gelatin is concerned, it is typically only used after fermentation is complete and after a cold crash (the beer needs to be cold for it to work) to aid in clearing the beer before or at packaging (usually when kegging)

Back