Brewing a 1.069 extract ipa. wanting to Fg @1.014

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
US-05 will get you there if you properly rehydrate the yeast before pitching, pitch into wort that is well aerated at the low end of the fermentation temperature, and control the fermentation temperature.

edit: Should add that even temperatures from the beginning to the end of the fermentation will get the best yeast attenuation.

Use either yeast. I would pitch more than one packet, though considering the higher OG. Towards the end of fermentation, raise the temperature a few degrees to spur the yeast on.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

80%, all-extract. You might not get there with either of them.

They are both good yeasts, and 1 packet should work fine. If you want a clean ferment, S-05 is probably better to control. Notty will give you more flavor if you don't have temp control.

It says on the package of S-05, pitch directly into wort. I personally dont use dry yeast anymore but i'm getting tired of people harping on about re-hydrating dry yeast when the scientists that create it don't think you should. Last time I used s-05 I pitched dry at 1.074 and finished at 1.011. I dumped out nearly a gallon of yeast cake from the fermentor.

It says on the package of S-05, pitch directly into wort. I personally dont use dry yeast anymore but i'm getting tired of people harping on about re-hydrating dry yeast when the scientists that create it don't think you should. Last time I used s-05 I pitched dry at 1.074 and finished at 1.011. I dumped out nearly a gallon of yeast cake from the fermentor.

On the Fermentis website product sheet for US-05 it states:

"rehydration instructions
Sprinkle the yeast in minimum 10 times its weight of sterile water or wort at 27°C ± 3°C (80°F ± 6°F). Leave to rest 15 to 30 minutes.
Gently stir for 30 minutes, and pitch the resultant cream into the fermentation vessel.
Alternatively, pitch the yeast directly in the fermentation vessel providing the temperature of the wort is above 20°C (68°F). Progressively sprinkle
the dry yeast into the wort ensuring the yeast covers all the surface of wort available in order to avoid clumps. Leave for 30 minutes, then mix the
wort using aeration or by wort addition."

There is a difference between making beer and making good beer.
Under-pitching can still make beer. Heck, people pitch a vial or smack pack of nearly expired liquid yeast into a 1.080 beer without a starter and still make beer.
I think you might be missing the point that best practice, to prevent loss of about 1/2 the yeast cells in the sachet (per Chris White, who wrote the book "Yeast"), is to rehydrate.
Do whatever you want to make beer, but you'll probably keep hearing people talking about rehydrating dry yeast over and over again.

On the Fermentis website product sheet for US-05 it states:

"rehydration instructions
Sprinkle the yeast in minimum 10 times its weight of sterile water or wort at 27°C ± 3°C (80°F ± 6°F). Leave to rest 15 to 30 minutes.
Gently stir for 30 minutes, and pitch the resultant cream into the fermentation vessel.
Alternatively, pitch the yeast directly in the fermentation vessel providing the temperature of the wort is above 20°C (68°F). Progressively sprinkle
the dry yeast into the wort ensuring the yeast covers all the surface of wort available in order to avoid clumps. Leave for 30 minutes, then mix the
wort using aeration or by wort addition."

There is a difference between making beer and making good beer.
Under-pitching can still make beer. Heck, people pitch a vial or smack pack of nearly expired liquid yeast into a 1.080 beer without a starter and still make beer.
I think you might be missing the point that best practice, to prevent loss of about 1/2 the yeast cells in the sachet (per Chris White, who wrote the book "Yeast"), is to rehydrate.
Do whatever you want to make beer, but you'll probably keep hearing people talking about rehydrating dry yeast over and over again.

Just re-read a package of s-05. Definitely says "sprinkle into wort". So anyway as I was saying.... i pitched dry yeast and got about 85-90% attenuation I don't really understand how you're saying I'm just making beer all willy nilly. Got 8.1% abv out of that batch so get bent. I will continue to call out people who hype out on overpitching yeast as is is a completely unnecessary and time consuming practice. I commonly pitch one smack pack into 3 cups of small beer and 36 hours on the stir plate and EVERY beer I've ever made has finished at 1.012 or lower. You are wrong. Good luck with doing unnecessary things. :ban:

Just re-read a package of s-05. Definitely says "sprinkle into wort". So anyway as I was saying.... i pitched dry yeast and got about 85-90% attenuation I don't really understand how you're saying I'm just making beer all willy nilly. Got 8.1% abv out of that batch so get bent. I will continue to call out people who hype out on overpitching yeast as is is a completely unnecessary and time consuming practice. I commonly pitch one smack pack into 3 cups of small beer and 36 hours on the stir plate and EVERY beer I've ever made has finished at 1.012 or lower. You are wrong. Good luck with doing unnecessary things. :ban:

Why the attitude? Trolling?
Make beer any way you choose. If you like your beer that's great and keep it up.

05 is a workhorse I have been top cropping the same four packs since September 2013

all the best

S_M

Back