Brewin my first Belgian

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jekster

Reaction score
Well, I had the day off and it's about time I brew my Belgian. I wanted something that would be enjoyable for everyone around New Years since I'm having a bash at my house. My brother a lot of our friends, and I really enjoy DT so I thought I'd make a clone.

Here is the recipe and a photo of the goods:

10.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 85.1 %

2.00 oz Styrian Goldings [3.20%] (60 min) Hops 20.4 IBU
1.00 oz Saaz [3.50%] (0 min) Hops -

4.00 gm Ginger Root (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
4.00 gm Seeds of Paradise (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
12.00 gm Coriander Seed (Boil 10.0 min) Misc

1.75 lb Cane (Beet) Sugar (0.0 SRM) Sugar 14.9 %

1 Pkgs Belgian Ale (White Labs #WLP550) Yeast-Ale

IMG_3089.jpg

Oops, forgot the hops in the pic and the sugar, but you get the idea. ;) I'll keep updating as the day progresses! Just mashed in!

Well I've already learned something about doing step mashes... Calculate the full volume your mash tun can hold. ;) Got all but about .75 gallons of my second step in there and missed my temp by 2 degrees. In the grand scheme it could be worse and I learned another thing about my system. :rockin:

IMG_3090.jpg

Mashing out and getting ready to sparge

IMG_3091.jpg

Well this first picture is the result of finding out my ball valve was leaking as I was sparging out. I came down from upstairs and saw a small puddle. I had to jump into action and quickly emptied the mash tun and drained the wart from my kettle into that and a seperate smaller kettle. I think had to think of a splash free way to get it all back into my boil kettle and the result was this:

IMG_3092.jpg

Boiling now:

IMG_3095.jpg

Damn, I needed a beer after that. ;)

IMG_3094.jpg

Well here is the last bit in the saga:

The spices near flameout:

IMG_3097.jpg

Hit a few points above my estimated OG which is always good:

IMG_3109.jpg

It doesn't show, but the color was spot on, a nice light gold. Now it's just time to wait.

IMG_3115.jpg

Overall it was a long brew day, but successful. Can't wait to be drinking this come New Years.

Cheers! :tank:

Looks great. mM first go at a Belgian didn't turn out so well. And props to drinking Two Bros. on the job.

jvh261 said:
Looks great. mM first go at a Belgian didn't turn out so well. And props to drinking Two Bros. on the job.

Oh yeah, Two brothers rocks! I love their Cane and Ebel, and the Golden Ale was actually tasty for a nice mild beer.

Back