Brewhouse kit, Live yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shea25

Reaction score
I currently work at a craft brewery and am able to get live yeast, whenever the brewer collects, the question is would it be beneficial to use the live yeast over the coopers packet that comes with the kit?.

Also how much live yeast would I use with a standard brewhouse kit

Thanks, Shea

Yep, it would be absolutely beneficial! Depending on the final volume and OG of your wort you can use the calculator at MrMalty.com to figure out how much yeast you'll need.

probably, fresh health yeast is almost always better then packaged yeast. But what strain can you get and is it appropriate for the style that your brewing?

The yeast is Dry English Ale Yeast, and my kit is Brew house Red Ale

The OG should be around 1.050 and the total volume will be 23 liters. The yeast is newer we started using it a month ago, it has been used in 4-5 batches at our brewery. I can use the yeast the day it is collected when we transfer

The yeast is Dry English Ale Yeast, and my kit is Brew house Red Ale

The OG should be around 1.050 and the total volume will be 23 liters. The yeast is newer we started using it a month ago, it has been used in 4-5 batches at our brewery. I can use the yeast the day it is collected when we transfer

Sounds like a good plan.

Dont use packaged yeast if you want good results. I just pitched 1L starter of 3068 in my Brewhouse Prairie Wheat kit, I also steeped 1 lb of Wheat Malt and 0.5 lb Munich in 4 liters of additional water instead of suggested 8. Came out to 1.064 OG :drunk: Realized that 1 liter starter is not enough I pitched a pack of Notty and racked blow off tube. Will see how it turns out

I am going to assume that a starter yeast is alot different then collected yeast, that's the hard part is figuring out how much I am going to need

I am going to assume that a starter yeast is alot different then collected yeast, that's the hard part is figuring out how much I am going to need

Pssttt... ...some helpful HBT'er put a link up there in post #2 to the MrMalty Pitching Rate Calculator. You can use the Repitching From Slurry, setting. :mug:

That link is very helpful, Are yeast can be very thick, if so I would only need 60mls for a 23 liter batch, that does not sound like much, I guess I will see when I try

Thanks

Would it be bad to add a little more yeast then needed

It's better to overpitch then underpitch, just my $.02.

for me it depends on the style of beer. For beers that don't rely heavily on yeast for their flavors, overpitching is no big deal. Like an IPA or a porter where the malt and hops are the main flavors and the yeast can be fairly clean or neutral.

But on beers like Belgians or Weizens where the yeast flavors are the main show, overpitching is not such a good idea.

Definitely use a different yeast than the coopers. So far I like the 1056 American Ale yeast the best because it's very clean tasting. I made the Canadian Light Lager with it and it's great.

I used the 1098 brit ale with the IPA and it is good also. Never had an IPA before though so I'm not sure what to compare it to.

The coopers gives all of the beers a similar taste. It's not all bad at first but after a few batches I was getting tired of that same background taste in all the different beers I was making.

Latest posts

Back