Brewfather - Calculating water for multiple sparges?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TandemTails

Reaction score
Update: It looks like it wasn't updating the profile for the recipe, even though I had updated the profile in the Profiles tab. After updating the grain absorption to 0.5qt/lb and changing the Mash/Sparge Water Calculation Method to Batch Sparge, and then manually updating the equipment profile for the recipe, it's showing amounts that are much closer to Beersmith.

Original message:

I recently signed up for Brewfather and moved over my recipes and profiles after hearing a lot of good feedback about the app. I've been a BeerSmith user for years and the interface was outdated even back in 2016 when I started using it.

I'm eager to start using Brewfather and was planning on using it today when I brew a pale ale, but the problem is I do two sparges after my mash. I find that on my system it provides me with a much better efficiency than a single or no sparge. The problem is, there doesn't seem to be a way for brewfather to handle two sparges.

The closest thing I've been able to find is someone recommending to manually set the sparge water amount in the equipment profile. I feel like this defeats the purpose since BeerSmith will adjust the sparge amounts slightly based on grain bill size.

So, anyone here use Brewfather and also perform two sparges? If so, how do you handle it? Did you just bump up the sparge water amount and then do your own calculation for the amount each sparge should be?

Last edited:
Back