brewery name

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that people who name their homebrewey have a strange sense of their own self. I don't get it other than as a joke but why trademark a joke?

files_troll_2.jpg

I thought I went overboard when I wrote IPA on my bottle cap! Just kidding :) I don't always have six straight hours to work on creating my next batch of beer. Sometimes it's fun just to sit around and dream up silly brewery names with my wife. How the hell do you think we came up with a beer called "Dog Fart Ale"? Too bad it's already overused, but hey it ain't trademarked! :D

Don't feel like reading through, but unless you create a business, register the name as a trademark and/or DBA depending on the state, and maintain it for a period of time you have no rights to protect it. You can call yourself "banana hammock" brewing or whatever all day but if someone likes it and creates a business the right way you got no leg to stand on.

The truth is even when companies do it the right way it's hard to protect it. My old boss started the first <name> Bail Bonds in Vegas a LONG time ago and has them all over the country. Guys alter the name a hair, add a different work, or blatantly copy it all the time, even in a lot of his areas. Not worth the legal mess trying to fight them all.

So bottom line is enjoy it for the home gimmick if that's what you want, but you are not actually a brewery until you are a brewery, so it is what it is.

Latest posts

Back