Brewer's Friend - Grainfather and Scaling Recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazer Wolf Brewing

Reaction score
Hi,

I jumped into brewing head-first and purchased a Grainfather. I have yet to brew a batch of beer, but I'm gearing up. I feel quite stupid trying to use this software and figure out how to come up with the correct numbers.

I chose to use Brewer's Friend over Beersmith as I heard it may be a bit easier to use for a newbie like me. I have chosen my first recipe, Skeezer's zombie dust clone, and I am trying to input it into Brewer's Friend so that I can scale down from 6 gallons to 2.5 gallons.

Skeezer's recipe: http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/5916/zombie-dust-clone-all-grain

I copied the recipe exactly into Brewer's Friend and marked it as a 6 gallon batch. I then used the Grainfather water calculator app, input batch size 6, grain bill as 14.38 gallons, and that spit out a total mash+sparge volume of 8.70 gallons. I put 8.70 gallons as "Est. boil size" in Brewer's Friend. I then scaled the recipe down to 2.5 gallons, but when I input the resulting batch size and grain bill (brewer's friend spits out 6lbs after i scale) into the grainfather water calculator, its showing different numbers than brewers friend.

Brewer's Friend says my total boil volume should be 5.2 gallons, and the grainfather app says Mash (2.87 gallons) + Sparge (1.53 gallons) = 4.40 gallons. I thought if I input the correct GF-provided numbers into the original 6 gallon recipe, and scaled to 2.5 gallons, that the water amounts should be the same from both apps.

Should I just use the grain/hop amounts that Brewers friend gives me, but ignore their water amounts and use the grainfather app amounts instead? Sorry this got so long, any help to a virgin brewer is much appreciated!!

Hi
Well, I've been struggling with the same problem since I started and purchased Beer Smith. I took me several failed batches to correct the water and sparge calculations, using partly the information from the GF manual and other sources.
I am still not able to use BeerSmith and are instead using my own excel sheet atm. coupled by Beersmith and Beer Calc tool main for IBU and OG calculations.

I guess its the Beer Smith engine used for brewers friend? Anyway, my clear advice to you is to do your own calculation based on "common" rules of brewing, to begin with. Further you will learn from this "manual" calculation instead of using a tool. (My private opinion)

First visit this page, it will help you calculate your volumes from you final bottling volume:
http://mashhacks.com/how-to-calculate-water-volumes-for-brewing/

It is brilliant and helped me a lot.

Do the calc and try brewing your first batch. I can supply you with my GF numbers if you are interested.
Best
Rasmus

Latest posts

Back