Brewer's Best with HBC 342 Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAKing

Reaction score
Anybody know anything about the Brewer's Best Hopnog 2011 kits? They just showed up at myLHBS today and was wondering if anybody had tried kits with 'experimental' hops before.

There is no suggested hop schedule in the recipe (you are suppose to experiment!), so I was looking for some feedback on mine. I've never created my own hop schedule before, so we'll see how it turns out.

I am basing this hop schedule on the diagram that slicksmix posted here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/general-guidelines-laying-out-your-hop-schedule-157797/index2.html

I chose 20, 7 and 0 minutes to ensure I get the full flavor and aroma of this new hop variety.

Thoughts?

HopNog - American IPA
================================================================================
Batch Size: 5.000 gal
Boil Size: 6.000 gal
Boil Time: 1.000 hr
Efficiency: 70%%
OG: 1.060
FG: 1.015
ABV: 5.8%%
Bitterness: 74.1 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 11 SRM (Morey)

Fermentables
================================================================================
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Pale Liquid Extract Extract 6.600 lb No No 78%% 8 L
Light Dry Extract Dry Extract 16.000 oz No No 95%% 8 L
Cara-Pils/Dextrine Grain 4.000 oz No No 72%% 2 L
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L Grain 8.000 oz No No 74%% 40 L
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L Grain 8.000 oz No No 75%% 10 L
Total grain: 8.850 lb

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Millennium 15.5%% 0.750 oz Boil 1.000 hr Pellet 36.9
HBC - 342 14.9%% 1.000 oz Boil 20.000 min Leaf 25.8
HBC - 342 14.9%% 1.000 oz Boil 7.000 min Leaf 11.4
HBC - 342 14.9%% 1.000 oz Boil 0.000 s Leaf 0.0

Yeast
Name Type Form Amount Stage
Safale S-05 Ale Dry 2.232 tsp Primary

Sounds Great! I think what im going to do is do two kits with different times, that way i can see for myself what the different additions do for the beer! Sounds like fun to me!

not sure what my schedule will be but i will definitely keep some back for dry hopping too!

Hello LAKing, I had made a thread as well about the hops in this kit, Like i said in my post above i will do both batches, then update my other thread with tasting notes, hope you tune in and chime in when you're done with your batch

Cheers

Hello LAKing, I had made a thread as well about the hops in this kit, Like i said in my post above i will do both batches, then update my other thread with tasting notes, hope you tune in and chime in when you're done with your batch

Cheers

Do you have some initial aroma thoughts for us? About ready to make the first batch

Do you have some initial aroma thoughts for us? About ready to make the first batch

Sure. The hbc 342, to me, are extremely floral. It is currently in secondary dry hopping. I will bottle in a few days. To me it is really close to bells two hearted ale

I agree with the Bells Two Hearted comparison. I've got a keg of it carbed up and it really seems like it is already at its prime. I'd totally make this my house IPA if I could get more of those hops.

"The hbc 342, to me, are extremely floral. It is currently in secondary dry hopping. I will bottle in a few days."

2-hearted is Centennial with a grapefruit undertone like Cascade bittering, but its from their house yeast strain. how did the hopnog turn out slicksmix?

Back