brewers best scottish ale...not much bubbling!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davebstock

Reaction score
I did my first batch with friends. It's been in the plastic fermenting tank for almost 3 days. For the time I was around it, it didn't bubble much from the air lock. I noticed bubbles after 12-15 hours but didnt see much. That's a concern and I'm deciding when to transfer it to the carboy. Any suggestions?

Don't worry. Bubbles realy don't mean anything. They just indicate that the pressure inside the fermenter is higher than outside. Your fermentation started, so just sit back, let the yeast do what it has been doing for thousands of years. It knows what to do.

No need to transfer to a secondary. Most kits suggest that, but it really is not necessary. You can just let it sit in the primary for 3 weeks, check that gravity is stable for a few days and bottle it up.

Thanks. I have some good brewing books to read as I wait. And a milk stout kit ready and waiting for my second batch!

I have this kit going as well. bubbled quite quick from 12 hours - 30 hours. Now, it quiet and resting in the basement.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/X0nemEnHdTI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I am considering racking to a carbon at some point just to free up my fermenter to start on milk stout. Glad to hear from someone working on the same kit. Let me know how it turns out.

davebstock said:
I am considering racking to a carbon at some point just to free up my fermenter to start on milk stout. Glad to hear from someone working on the same kit. Let me know how it turns out.

Carboy, not carbon

Back