Brewers Best Cider Kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canuck137

Reaction score
Not a huge fan of cider, like one or two here and there... but have got some requests from the GF and others to make a cider. So I figure, why not?

Have been brewing beer almost a year now and have extract and BIAB more or less down pat, making some good beers... So I guess I have the basics which I imagine carry over to ciders.

So... my question was for an easy cider how are these "brewers best cider kits" They are a little on the pricy side, $60 here in Canada. I can do a extract 20 liter beer batch for half that... but anyway.

How do these kits turn out. Is it worth it or should I try and do one without the kit? Cheers and thanks!

I have experience with this kit. Looked back through my notes and I brewed this kit Feb 17 this year. Followed instructions and made these notes:
Start brix 11, end brix 3.8, abv 6.1
Cloudy golden colour, ale flavour.
So, wasnt too impressed.
I have now made 9 5-gallon batches and by far the best (and also easiest) is Phug s simple cider recipe, made from store bought AJ.

It is in the recipe section.

AJ can be bought on sale just about anytime for buck litre.

Back