Brewday pics- ESB all-grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonsargo

Reaction score
Not sure how my account works here with pics and posting, but I use Flickr a lot, anyway, so here's my set from yesterday's session. They're just snapshot quality with my camera's interval set for every minute on a tripod, but you get the idea. Updates on my website and on facebook to follow...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scnightrod/sets/72157625925202751/with/5446361706/

(Don't forget the slideshow button on the upper right corner)

-----

It's an Extra Special Bitter, a little light on the hops.

22lbs 2-row
1.25lb 120'L Crystal
2oz Chocolate
1oz Black Patent

Single-step infusion mash with no mash-out- 60min/152' with salts to mimic Burton-On-Trent water.

2oz Willamette bittering hops for 60min, 1.5oz Saaz flavor hops for 30min, .5oz Saaz aroma hops for 5min. Irish Moss for 10min.

Chilled through counterflow to 65'. Aerated with aquarium pump for 5min. 2pks. Safale SO4 Dry Ale Yeast pitched.

11.25G at 1.057 OSG.
79% efficiency.

Visible activity at 3 hours, visible bubbling at 12 hours. Krausen beginning at 14 hours. High Krausen at 18 hours.

Snapshot intervals...That's a great idea.

The star of the show has to be that chair.

btw. I like your cement construction three tier brew frame :)

Thanks, guys! I wish I could have spent the time with the camera and processing, that's my serious hobby, but the interval/tripod worked great to set-it-and-forget-it for the day. And it caught my sneaky dog licking up a spill! I'll follow up with some pretty pictures of the final product with the good lens later.

That chair...is frigging hideous, but it's comfortable and perfect for the porch. Perfect to smoke a pipe or watch a boil or look out where my hops will go this spring.

And actually, it's a four-tier cement brew frame, if you count the conical in the basement with the line through the window!

Thanks, Paul. I love it. Of course a stainless conical would be the king, but the MiniBrew is the next best thing. I love dumping the trub so easily, I've gotten used to not having an airlock, and it should be pretty easy to clean for years with LIGHT scrubbing and the occasional steaming with a garment steamer, and the lid is great to crack open for the lees stirrer with my meads.

Theseether, nice eye. It's ridiculous, but I barely drink. I know that's blasphemy around here, but my friends benefit. 11 gallons will get split into 4 Party Pigs, and it'll take me a month to get through mine with the other three spoken for already and probably finished in a week. Regardless, I do RADW!

Haha, another nice eye! No, the majority was sink water, and that shot was just to top up a bit after letting it run for a minute. Definitely not my usual practice, but you're referring to the leached chemicals and critter water that sits in the hose, right?

Believe me, i used to agree with you, but as slippers that never make it past my porch, they rock.

yeah, those hoses can contribute vinyl tastes to the beer.

Haha, another nice eye! No, the majority was sink water, and that shot was just to top up a bit after letting it run for a minute. Definitely not my usual practice, but you're referring to the leached chemicals and critter water that sits in the hose, right?

Back