Brewday on E-biab Rig - Galaxy American IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blitzer

Reaction score
Hi guys,
first batch done on new rig, E-biab setup with 4kw elements, automatic mash stirrer, everything wireless controlled via web, thanks to a Raspberry PI with StrangeBrew Elsinore Software (Credits to Doug for this!, Great piece of software!)

Started with lot of doubts, will the wiper motor's stirrer overheat? May i have efficiency problem? Is the recipe good?

However let's start, recipe developed with Biabacus, 19,3g / 73,2 liters of water for the mash, heated at 153,5F / 67,5C

2u557w0.jpg

Pale, crystal and carapils malts, ready for weighing and grinding (with electric screwdriver set at low speed) , while water is heating

11qmxp5.jpg

2z840pi.jpg

Dough in with stirrer on, so much grain! total volume really close to max pot size (86liters on 94liters pot), ph check .

5xtqoo.jpg

Lots of Cascade e Galaxy hops for a beer made all in late hop addiction, wanted to try this method for long time, i'm the bald happy guy :D

2lna2yb.jpg

207owbc.jpg

Iodine test at 75 minutes, ready to mashout at 172F / 77,8C degrees for 15minutes

25iqiiq.jpg

Time to remove stirrer and cage

28214xc.jpg

Pull up the grain bag with electric hoist, and squeeze like a beast! :mad:
Wort preboil 18G / 68l

5nvh1f.jpg

software setup for boil, mounting the hop spider, and starting hop addiction, at boilover pull up hop bag.

2zqfyh0.jpg

24xp0u1.jpg

Density measurement (1.060 instead of expected 1.056)

210zgol.jpg

gravity setup for plate exchanger, to get out wort at 68F / 20C degree.
Got around 13,4G / 51Liters of cooled wort (as expected).

33eiwx0.jpg

Yeast rehydrated (3 x US-05 sachets), wort "manual" oxygenation ready to go in fermentantion chamber (modified fridge with stc1000 and heating cable) at 67F / 19,5C degree

sxcdnl.jpg

wbza11.jpg

Timelapse video of brew day, started at 10 A.M. and finished around 18 P.M.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIiigx56R4s[/ame]

Everything went well, efficiency in boil (EIB) better then expected, got around 77%.

Nice brew day :mug:

I'm impressed you went with a full batch size for the first brew! I know I'm still running 50% because I hate the idea of screwing up even more beer.

done a full wet test (1 hour fake mash with mashout plus 1 hours boil) so i was quite confident, just worried about stirrer.

Fermentation went well, got target 1.014/12 FG in 7 days.
Racked to another fermenter and dry hopped with 250gr of Cascade/Galaxy, tried to purge fermenter with 16gr Co2 cartridge to reduce oxygenation....probably worthless, what do you think about it?
However after 7days racked again, added with 6gr per liter of table sugar and bottled.
Lost more than i thought during racking (leaking tap washer), got around 42-43liters in bottles.

2rgyvpi.jpg

Here is the "baby" beer, just one week old, nice color and really good smell, nice bitter finish, we'll see after 1 month of maturation.

169njvt.jpg

Latest posts

Back