Brewbuilt x2 jacketed or spike cf5

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mggray87

Reaction score
Just quick opinions on which would you go with. Anyone with experience with both or either or. Now I understand the price is $600 to $900. But let's say they are both the exact same price. Or let's say I have the ability to get they for the same price.

I've read the x2 pressure holding ability is a little sketchy. And welds aren't as beautiful. But for the 7g comparison. I'm interested in hearing from you advanced users.

I have the spike cf5 . It's been great . Would definitely purchase again. No experience with the other.

I have the spike cf5 . It's been great . Would definitely purchase again. No experience with the other.
I actually am eyeballing the ss brewtech 2.0 jacketed for same price. If I can get it for the spike price I'll probably bite on 2 of them .

I have the CF-5 and love it. In addition to cooling with the coil and glycol chiller, I sometimes need to warm the conical during winter months in my garage and it seems a jacketed conical would present some challenges in doing this.

I have the CF-5 and love it. In addition to cooling with the coil and glycol chiller, I sometimes need to warm the conical during winter months in my garage and it seems a jacketed conical would present some challenges in doing this.
I have also came across ss brewtech jacketed unitank 2.0...

Not really. The jacket is not on the cone which is where you'd put the heating pad (just like the Spike).

Just quick opinions on which would you go with. Anyone with experience with both or either or. Now I understand the price is $600 to $900. But let's say they are both the exact same price. Or let's say I have the ability to get they for the same price.

I've read the x2 pressure holding ability is a little sketchy. And welds aren't as beautiful. But for the 7g comparison. I'm interested in hearing from you advanced users.
Just looking at today's prices The X2 is $1000 and the cf5 $600 but that's not exactly a fair comparison as the X2 comes with the neoprene jacket. The Spike jacket is $100 and the coiling coil is $100. Lowers the difference to $200. Or the X1 is on sale at Brewbuilt (and at least one other vendor) for $389 but is usually $600. Brewbuilts neoprene for the small one is $33 (on sale from $50) but their coil which is slightly different is $190 but has better functionality. Could be other critical differences, but I just happened to be looking at these today and don't have any working experience with either.

Just looking at today's prices The X2 is $1000 and the cf5 $600 but that's not exactly a fair comparison as the X2 comes with the neoprene jacket. The Spike jacket is $100 and the coiling coil is $100. Lowers the difference to $200. Or the X1 is on sale at Brewbuilt (and at least one other vendor) for $389 but is usually $600. Brewbuilts neoprene for the small one is $33 (on sale from $50) but their coil which is slightly different is $190 but has better functionality. Could be other critical differences, but I just happened to be looking at these today and don't have any working experience with either.

The X2 jacketed has the outer shell jacket which is like adding the spike cooling coil as well as the neoprene jacket which you mentioned. It also comes with a thermowell and emergency PRV which are accessories for the Spike. It's harder to compare the pressure pack with floating diptube (though having a ball lock input is like having the pressure manifold and the floating diptube is kind of like the rotating racking arm) and the yeast collection jar that clamps on to the dump valve since Spike doesn't have either of those. Long story short, I think the value is comparable with an edge simply given to your preference for jacket glycol or coil based.

Depends on your needs. If temp control is a big thing for you it might be better to pony up and get the x2. If not, I think the Spike CFs do a good job. They can be temperamental about holding pressure as well but it's something you learn to deal with as it happens.

Apartment Brewer just put out a vid on a comparison of the two you might want to check out on youtube.

I watched that Apartmentment Brewer vid last night. It was pretty informative as far as the X2 initial impressions and first run. Wanted/needed accessories and prices are something to list completely as well keeping in mind the ports on both look to be the same size all around with the X2 having a couple extra TC's around the racking port. But if thinking about the X1 or the non-jacketed X2 as an option to the Spike line, you can generally put the same accessory as far as TC from either company on either fermenter.

I will add on to what Bobby said about jacketed vs coil and ask, How do you feel about cleaning the cooling coil every time? Personally I find coils to be the most time consuming to care for. Immersion chillers, HERMS coil, CFC, those all take time to clean properly. Depends on the person as to how much it factors in their brew day and there are ways to minimize the time for cleaning.

Last edited:
I'm really saying the same thing Bobby said, in another way. I'd add, at this price point, don't let a couple hundred $$ sway you either way. Pony up. Having equipment that suits your purposes more closely will more than make up for the cost over time. I have the Spike CF. I brew PF lagers in my basement which fluctuates between 59 and 68 deg F all year. I'm not worried about temperature because given those parameters (and w-34/70 doesn't care) I have no need for cooling. If I did need to worry about temperature control, I might have considered something like a jacketed FV.

Latest posts

Back