Brew Water - Blonde Ale and Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toms_Jeep

Reaction score
I just moved and I am taking my hobby of 3 months to the next level. I have a water test and looking to adjust the water for better results. Next 2 beers I am planing are an Apricot Blonde and Red Ale.
I am looking at Brewer's Friend calculator and EZ water spreadsheet. Not sure if I am reading these correctly.:confused::confused:

My water test results are as follows.
Calcium - 9.0
Magnesium - 1.5
Sodium - 6.0
Chloride - 6.4
Sulfate - 3.6
Bicarbonate - 35.3
PH 8.19
Hardness - 22.4

I have figured if I add the following I should have the chemistry close but the pH is still 5.69 is says to get it to 5.4-5.6 by adding Acidulated Malt or?
4 grams - Calcium Chloride
2 grams - Chalk CaCO3
4 grams - Epsom Salt

Suggestions:tank: :ban:
Thank you

I just moved and I am taking my hobby of 3 months to the next level. I have a water test and looking to adjust the water for better results. Next 2 beers I am planing are an Apricot Blonde and Red Ale.
I am looking at Brewer's Friend calculator and EZ water spreadsheet. Not sure if I am reading these correctly.:confused::confused:

My water test results are as follows.
Calcium - 9.0
Magnesium - 1.5
Sodium - 6.0
Chloride - 6.4
Sulfate - 3.6
Bicarbonate - 35.3
PH 8.19
Hardness - 22.4

I have figured if I add the following I should have the chemistry close but the pH is still 5.69 is says to get it to 5.4-5.6 by adding Acidulated Malt or?
4 grams - Calcium Chloride
2 grams - Chalk CaCO3
4 grams - Epsom Salt

Suggestions:tank: :ban:
Thank you

You have very low-alkalinity, low mineral content water, nice.
I would not use chalk (it doesn't dissolve well and tends to effectively raise pH - or resist it's lowering) - you are probably using it to get Ca up, but you can (and should, IMPO) use Gypsum and CaCl first. Same for Epsom - I think Mg is overrated, worry first about Ca, and S/Cl amounts/ratios. Once you get close enough, think about pH. Without the use of chalk, your pH may be in good enough shape, depending on recipe. I always have some acid malt (and also lactic acid) on hand, but my calculations almost always predict a pH that is somewhat higher than what I measure in the mash. E.g. predictions are 5.6, but measured 5.4 etc. But if you are too high, just be ready to add some acid malt (about 1% of grain bill for every 0.1 pH point is a rough estimate, I believe).

You have very low-alkalinity, low mineral content water, nice.
I would not use chalk (it doesn't dissolve well and tends to effectively raise pH - or resist it's lowering) - you are probably using it to get Ca up, but you can (and should, IMPO) use Gypsum and CaCl first. Same for Epsom - I think Mg is overrated, worry first about Ca, and S/Cl amounts/ratios. Once you get close enough, think about pH. Without the use of chalk, your pH may be in good enough shape, depending on recipe. I always have some acid malt (and also lactic acid) on hand, but my calculations almost always predict a pH that is somewhat higher than what I measure in the mash. E.g. predictions are 5.6, but measured 5.4 etc. But if you are too high, just be ready to add some acid malt (about 1% of grain bill for every 0.1 pH point is a rough estimate, I believe).

Thanks for the feedback... I have not yet messed with water chemistry.
Per you suggestion I tweaked my additions to the following
6 grams Gypsum
3 grams Calc Chloride
and 3 oz Acidulated Malt

Bringing my profile to
pH - 5.56
Ca - 80
Mg - 2
Na - 6
CI - 83
So4 - 72
S/Cl amounts/ratios - 1.16