Brew using crawl space?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Francis

Reaction score
Hello - I plan on having a swamp cooler installed on my house later this summer but want to brew again soon. It's an oven in my house right now (4 days of 100+ degrees in Denver). I was in my crawl space yesterday doing some fun plumbing work and noticed it was nice and cool down there - and really dusty/cobwebby/dirty. Have any of you done and recommend doing this? Any other options?

I ferment in my basement which isn't kept up very well, and quite dusty and cobwebby in parts. As long as you have a good seal on your fermentation vessel, it shouldn't be a problem. My last saison has the unofficial name of "Little Miss Muffet" because there was a spider chilling in the bottling bucket when I brought it upstairs from down there.

Your crawl space can't be any worse then the caves and cellars that used to be used and in some cases still are used in the production of beer:)

Sure, crawl space is great. I have a bunch of barrels of beer aging in the crawl space under my estate (under the guest house):

cropped-wine-cellar.jpg

j/k. I wish.

Just check the actual temperature. Might be cool compared to 100F and still too hot for fermenting anything other than a Belgian.

Sure, crawl space is great. I have a bunch of barrels of beer aging in the crawl space under my estate (under the guest house):

cropped-wine-cellar.jpg

j/k. I wish.

Nice dude!! :ban: :ban:

OP, sounds like this is your best bet 'til you get some climate control. Speaking of swamp coolers, though, do a quick search here on HBT for 'swamp cooler'. Not that it'll solve 100 degree temps, but it's an easy way to keep temps mopre under control when it does get warm.

Back