brew stand design question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jiggs_casey

Reaction score
I've been tinkering with sketchup for a couple of weeks and now, of course, I want to design a brew stand, and buy a welder, and learn to weld, etc.

But, before I get too far along in my quest, I have a question. Will the 1" rolled steel square tube I buy from Lowes or Home Depot support a full 160lb steel keg? Or, should I step it up to 1.5" or 2"?

I would (and did) go with 1.5" square mild steel tubing. I used 14 ga as I was a fresh faced grad of the Youtube School Of Welding and figured 16 ga would be less forgiving. I've seen a couple of keggle rigs using 1" mild and they definitely had some sag to them when the vessels were full...

Cheers! ;)

P9030065_sm.jpg

I would (and did) go with 1.5" square mild steel tubing. I used 14 ga as I was a fresh faced grad of the Youtube School Of Welding and figured 16 ga would be less forgiving. I've seen a couple of keggle rigs using 1" mild and they definitely had some sag to them when the vessels were full...

Cheers! ;)

That looks great! I don't own any welding equipment yet but have been taking the same courses you did. ;)

I get inspired by seeing other diy'ers work. Thanks!

Also really love seeing this. I am piecing together my own 'Brutus style single tier setup.' Now all I need is to weld the stand, and that looks exactly like what I want to build. How hard was it learning to weld? Got Plans??

Is there a industrial metal supply near you? It'll be significantly cheaper than homedepot or lowes, HD/L is geared for the "i need a tiny piece to make a bracket", not the "i need 80ft delivered"!

Back