Brew Stand Burner Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigsphillips

Reaction score
There is nothing more frustrating after all the time it takes to plan, research, shop, and build your brew stand than running into unexpected problems that prevent you from "firing" it up, literally.

As you can see from the pictures, my stand has three Bayou Classic BG12 cast iron propane burners. The burners are connected to the manifold with 1/4" ID flexible gas line. The manifold is constructed of 1/4" brass needle valves and pipe fittings, a 2' section of 1/2" black iron pipe, and a 1/4" ID flexible gas line connected to an adjustable 30psi MB Sturgis regulator. The burner orifices are 90 degree 1/4" burner fittings from Bayou Classic Depot. Unfortunately, even though I have asked several times, Bayou Classic Depot can't seem to tell me the drill sizes for these orifices (kind of important information). I'm assuming they are a #61. Comparing visually, I believe Tejas Smokers carries the same part, 99-BA-61, but I can't confirm that for sure.

Now for the problem, since I given some back ground details of the system. The burners will not operate at the recommended 10psi or 15psi presure. With the valve barely cracked, the burner will light, then the flame will lift off almost immediately when opening the valve and go out. The air shutter has to be in the most restricted position and my finger over one of the air shutter holes to light and operate the burner. I don't understand why I can't get these to burn at pressure, especially since Bayou Classic's TB650 is almost an identical setup, in theory anyways.

I know this post was long winded, but I hoping someone wouldn't mind helping me get things "fired" up, it would be much appreciated. I have so much time and effort invested in this brewery and I'd like to taste some beer made with it.

IMG_5036_1_1.JPG

IMG_5037_1_1.JPG

IMG_5093_1.JPG

IMG_5098_1.JPG

IMG_5074_1_1.JPG

Im not a gas guy, but it sounds like too much pressure I would try a different regulator. Nice rig! btw

nice looking stand! if you're unsure about those orafices I'd see if you've got a friend that you can bum one off of that works with a BG12 and give that a try.

I think those things are rated at 10psi or less right?

61 is about right, have you measured them? See if you can borrow another regulator to test with.

61 is about right. Can you measure them?
Definitely try a lower pressure regulator, we run these about 5-7 psi.

Those burners all come from China and the orifices are whatever ships with that batch. There is very little quality control. We have received burners with the wrong orifices and some without. We buy orifices in bulk and measure/drill them to get them to work right. The only difference between one website's burner and another is what they are getting you to shell out.

Very nice job on your stand, great use of Uni-Strut.

From the description of operation it sounds like the burner gas orifices are drilled for low pressure operation, two options, replace with high pressure orifice, or turn regulator down to 1 PSI and run that way. Pressure to operate the burners is a relative term, start with lowest pressure to light up then raise the regulator pressure enough to lift the flame off the burner, it may only take 1 PSI to get flame lift, more pressure is counter productive.

I use this regulator for BG-12s

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VXEW4G/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

and bought bayou classic high pressure orifices.

The flames will lift off when you operate at too high of a pressure, give too much air, or fully open the needle valve. You just need to strike a fine balance between pressure at the regulator, control at the needle valve, and air intake.

Last edited by a moderator:
61 is about right. Can you measure them?
Definitely try a lower pressure regulator, we run these about 5-7 psi.

Those burners all come from China and the orifices are whatever ships with that batch. There is very little quality control. We have received burners with the wrong orifices and some without. We buy orifices in bulk and measure/drill them to get them to work right. The only difference between one website's burner and another is what they are getting you to shell out.

Very nice job on your stand, great use of Uni-Strut.

Thanks for responding and trying to help me figure this thing out. The Uni-Strut worked great and I'm really happy with the build, but I'm pretty confused why things aren't working. I need beer!!!!

Regarding measuring, I don't have any drill bits this small and I'm not sure how to measure the orifice.

Maybe I'm too naive. I thought since Bayou Classic sells the TB650 with a 15psi regulator and the SQ14 with a 10psi regulator that they would work at 10psi. This is another reason why I was led to believe it would work at 10psi. I wonder if someone who owns one of these two models could comment on how high a pressure they actually work best at.

Bayou Classic Depot swears they sent me high pressure orifices. My first argument with them was similiar to Kladue's post that they sent me low pressure orifices with too big of orifices in them. They swear they didn't, but I don't think they know the difference. Can you supply me something that will work at these pressures? I want to get the most BTU/hr out of these burners as I can.

From the description of operation it sounds like the burner gas orifices are drilled for low pressure operation, two options, replace with high pressure orifice, or turn regulator down to 1 PSI and run that way. Pressure to operate the burners is a relative term, start with lowest pressure to light up then raise the regulator pressure enough to lift the flame off the burner, it may only take 1 PSI to get flame lift, more pressure is counter productive.

Thanks, Kladue, for helping. I wanted to get the most BTU/hr out of these burners as I could and was led to believe that the higher the pressure the higher the heat output. I really don't see how it would work if I ran these at 1psi or lower. It would take forever to boil as very little flame comes out. The burners and orifices were supposedly specified as high pressure, at least that's what Bayou says, but why don't they work.

Right now, I don't know where to turn to get a another high pressure orifice. Bayou Classic Depot has been zero help and won't even give me my money back. I won't be doing anymore business with them or recommending them to anyone. They've stopped responding and left me hanging on this issue.

I'd love more help understanding the pressure and heat output to make it work best with the burners and regulator I have on hand, so I don't have to buy a bunch of new stuff. I'd like to keep the discussion going. Thanks, again.

I have the big brother of those burners but even with the bg-14 i can't open up the gas all the way. I just crack it a little and away we go.

p.s. Nice rig! I hope you get to break it in soon.

p.p.s. your burner-keggle distance seems a bit much:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/modding-kab4-6-a-259864/

Thanks, I can't wait to break it in...

I was already working on raising the burners, but that's the least of my concern right now. I want these suckers to burn and burn HOT.

I was going to ask if possibly the regulator was hanging open and supplying too much LP. 10 PSI is pretty low pressure. If you hear a strong whoosh it may be stuck open and doing that to you. Also make sure your guages are 90 degrees to the tank side and ground. It doesn't usually make a difference, but when troubleshooting, look at everything closely and with a logical eye.
Bob

Not sure if you want orifices for BG-14s or BG-12s They have different size threads

I have three BG12 burners. The burner thread size is 1/8" fpt. The gas hoses are 1/4" female flare swivel fittings, but I could adapt to 1/4" fpt, also.

Sounds like you might have an idea cookin'...

I was going to ask if possibly the regulator was hanging open and supplying too much LP. 10 PSI is pretty low pressure. If you hear a strong whoosh it may be stuck open and doing that to you. Also make sure your guages are 90 degrees to the tank side and ground. It doesn't usually make a difference, but when troubleshooting, look at everything closely and with a logical eye.
Bob

I don't think anything is wrong with the regulator, although I'm not exactly sure what you are describing. Also, what direction is "90 degrees to the tank side and ground"? Not sure what guage orientation would have to do with things, but I'll entertain...:confused:

There is nothing more frustrating after all the time it takes to plan, research, shop, and build your brew stand than running into unexpected problems that prevent you from "firing" it up, literally.

As you can see from the pictures, my stand has three Bayou Classic BG12 cast iron propane burners. The burners are connected to the manifold with 1/4" ID flexible gas line. The manifold is constructed of 1/4" brass needle valves and pipe fittings, a 2' section of 1/2" black iron pipe, and a 1/4" ID flexible gas line connected to an adjustable 30psi MB Sturgis regulator. The burner orifices are 90 degree 1/4" burner fittings from Bayou Classic Depot. Unfortunately, even though I have asked several times, Bayou Classic Depot can't seem to tell me the drill sizes for these orifices (kind of important information). I'm assuming they are a #61. Comparing visually, I believe Tejas Smokers carries the same part, 99-BA-61, but I can't confirm that for sure.

Now for the problem, since I given some back ground details of the system. The burners will not operate at the recommended 10psi or 15psi presure. With the valve barely cracked, the burner will light, then the flame will lift off almost immediately when opening the valve and go out. The air shutter has to be in the most restricted position and my finger over one of the air shutter holes to light and operate the burner. I don't understand why I can't get these to burn at pressure, especially since Bayou Classic's TB650 is almost an identical setup, in theory anyways.

I know this post was long winded, but I hoping someone wouldn't mind helping me get things "fired" up, it would be much appreciated. I have so much time and effort invested in this brewery and I'd like to taste some beer made with it.

I know this is an old post but I'm cruising through looking for info on building a strut stand. Wow, yours is sweet - love the solid strut. I don't understand why so many are using the slotted as this looks way cleaner. Anyways, hope you finaly got your gas system figured out and have many brew days on this setup under your belt.

Back