Brew Novice from Seattle area

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

switcher

Reaction score
A couple of years ago I brewed some beer at gallahger's and it was a fun experience. I got a ale pail kit for christmas but didn't have time or the rest of the equipment. for 2 years the kit mocked me in my garage...well I finally picked up a burner, 16.5 gallon brewkettle, and wort chiller. I just brewed my firs bock last weekend...except my kids unplugged my minifridge so pretty much made a steam beer instead of lager. just had my first taste before diacytal rest...tasted malty and good, a bit watery...but I think freeze distilling that might change things...it is 6.77% and tasty. glad I didn't get it infected.:ban:

575883_3624421323328_2039696757_n.jpg

577243_3624951416580_598184396_n.jpg

181361_3624953016620_231257931_n.jpg

Welcome from another seattleite. Always good to see another local face around.

Welcome to the forum. Hey, nothing wrong with a steam beer. I make 'em on purpose every now and again.

My one year old ate a hop pellet once. I think she liked it! :rockin:

I wonder if it affected my final HBU level? Haha.;)

Thanks everyone...I just tasted things before putting t in my secondary. Pretty good, needs carbonation. Letting it rest in my fridge for awhile.

So my bock is settling in second fermenter. This guy tasted it that brews a lot and said to add some brown sugar for taste at this point...it can help beef up the abv...plus since it fermented so fast he was talking about a second pitch of wyeast and then leaving it in the fridge for a couple of weeks.....any thoughts...

Why would you want to repitch yeast? Just because it fermented fast doesnt mean you need to add more yeast. If you where going to the add brown sugar you would need to pitch another set of yeast in order to spike up the abv. If this was me I would just keg/bottle it and leave it as is. I would on the next remake add the brown sugar. As your other post reads you all ready like how it turned out so why change its flavor? Anyway thats my 2 cents.

Yep no need to mess with a good thing :) thanks for the advise.....i can always make more

Btw it turned out awesome. I conditioned it out for a month...primed it and bottled...the flavor profile actually changed in the bottle. Mellowed things out. Pretty tasty and ended up abot 9%

Back