Brew Masters on Discovery w/ Sam Calagione

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought the first two episodes were mediocre at best, but I liked this one. Maybe it's growing on me. He was a little more technical in this episode. It was a nice blend of the beer of the week, the brewery and family.

I feel exactly the same way...

:mug:

I had a dream last night that Sam sent me a message on FB wanting to do a collaborative brew :rockin::ban:

Man what the hell is wrong with you guys? Sam stands for everything we all believe as home brewers. I find it hard to believe anyone would have any valid argument as to why they don't like him.

FYI: Being jealous does not count as a valid argument. Man... It should make you like him more anyway.

Well, lets see I am a musician, a drummer to be more exact. I generally listen to more guitar oriented "alternative music". I love old Alice Copper, but Rob Zombie I don't really care for. I appreciate what he is doing, but I really do not like him or his music.
Just because you are a "craft brewer" does not mean I have to love what you are doing. Does not have anything to do with "jealousy".

Coors is trying hard to sell itself with all of those Blue Moon commercials. It makes me want to throw up.

i hat that portamrillo (sp?) beer at the brew pub and tasted zero fruit notes as well. i think homeboy from epic had a good idea of not smoking all of it.

My neighbor went to the brewpub while on vacation in rehoboth. He said he tried a lot of beers and hated them all. But he drinks Coors light, and nothing else, so his opinion really doesn't count.

can anyone think of a good reason to go to deleware besides dfh? need an excuse to drive through there one day

I grew up in Newark. One reason lots of people go to Delaware is the beaches. Rehoboth if you like big shouty beaches with a boardwalk, Cape Hatteras or one of the variety of smaller beaches if you like things a bit more low-key.

There's also Pumpkin Chunkin'!

I don't know why they changed, but I saw it on the DSC website when I was looking for what their future show topics will be.

punkin ale still on sale? haven't had it since last year would love to get me some more. would love to go to pumpin chunkin what time of year does it happen?

OH tonights was good, yes a monday show! Hopefully when they are done with Sam @ Dogfish they will move to another small brewer... It is called "brewmaster(s)... Love that Sam kicked it off. I met him several times and really like the guy. But I want to see more brewers techniques & philosophies. Stoudt's brewing in Adamstown Pa is a good one, Brooklyn brewing is another.... just to suggest 2 from the north east!

I am on record as saying this is my favorite show. After watching tonight's episode I have to admit I was disappointed,
1) I thought Sam overplayed the nice guy (cute) angle.
2) This is the second show that showed a quality control issue
(out of three).
The first show that had the bottle filler issue made me spend to much time thinking about how I would design a solution to that problem.
This show with the wrong bottle type entering production just made me pissed.
No excuse for either problem.

i want to move to delaware now and submit an application

:off:tax free shopping on everything!

I used to live 5 min over the border in PA Tax free purchases! filled the trunk with tequila & rum for our annual "hulla fest" 2 1/4 kegs of micros from a now defucnt brewery in Buckingham pa and all the rum & tequila from DE! sweet sweet Memories! Max'd out at over 125 drunk people!

wish I had a 1/4 keg to chop the top on now!

No excuse for either problem.

Really? Have you NEVER had a problem on a small scale as a homebrewer? Imagine the crazy things you have to deal with as a commercial brewer. RDWHAHB, I applaud Calagione's efforts, and mistakes aren't a matter of utter carelessness, but a matter of sh*t happening. It happens to everyone.

At the beginning, they mentioned that in ancient times the corn wasn't germinated.

I went back and looked at that episode tonight. (didn't delete it from DVR yet)
I think you are right there but he wasn't real clear on it. One sentence he is talking about malted barley, the next he is talking about spit them spiting instead.

I guess there was a lot more to the real story that didn't make the editing.

Tonight's show was the best yet. The more I see of his head brewer, Brian, the more I respect him. Sam keeps up coming up with crazy ideas that he could never fulfill on his own, but Brian (and his team) make those crazy ideas become great beer.

:off:tax free shopping on everything!

I used to live 5 min over the border in PA Tax free purchases! filled the trunk with tequila & rum for our annual "hulla fest" 2 1/4 kegs of micros from a now defucnt brewery in Buckingham pa and all the rum & tequila from DE! sweet sweet Memories! Max'd out at over 125 drunk people!

wish I had a 1/4 keg to chop the top on now!

Whoah there, I grew up in DE, and you shouldn't buy liquor from there. You want cheapness and selection, you hop across the MD border to State Line Liquors. Anyone in the area check it out, it has the best beer selection I've ever seen outside of Beers Of The World in Rochester, NY. Way better then anything I have in my area now.

Most other things are cheaper in DE, though, and it is really nice to go to a store, pick out something that is $9.99 and pay with a $10 bill. I never use cash now that I'm in CT, stupid sales tax ****s up everything....

Have to agree tonight's show dealt more with the issues that a production brewery can be forced to deal with. Do you send the Punkin' to market with twist tops, of trash $10,000 of product and glass?

Beervana in New Zealand was great!! Gona have to go!!

i enjoyed the pumkin/ tamarillo's episode its the best one so far. im looking forward to next weeks already

Going back to the Chica recipe, (which I am watching now) Sonora Pickard's germinated Chicha looked like Hoegaarden, it was even served in giant Hoegaarden glasses. :) It had that cloudy lemon yellow look about it. Didn't look un appetizing in the least.

Since they were collected spit samples and testing it for ALpha amalaze, couldn't they just have made a huge, *ahem* "Gob Starter" then ran the corn and the AA starter through a mill to mush and crush the corn and then let it ferment out on it's own, skipping the actually chewing of the 40 pounds of corn? It still would have been made with human saliva, but just not chewed and spit.....

Going back to the Chica recipe, (which I am watching now) Sonora Pickard's germinated Chicha looked like Hoegaarden, it was even served in giant Hoegaarden glasses. :) It had that cloudy lemon yellow look about it. Didn't look un appetizing in the least.

Since they were collected spit samples and testing it for ALpha amalaze, couldn't they just have made a huge, *ahem* "Gob Starter" then ran the corn and the AA starter through a mill to mush and crush the corn and then let it ferment out on it's own, skipping the actually chewing of the 40 pounds of corn? It still would have been made with human saliva, but just not chewed and spit.....

I tend to think they did the entire chewing/spitting thing in part because it makes a great advertisement/marketing ploy. Not saying that is a bad thing. It is just really interesting to people who have never heard of it. My family thought it was cool and gross at the same time. It really peaked their interests.

The other reason might be because Sam just wanted everyone to chew 40 pounds of corn because he is mad brewer? :p

Those are the only reasons I can think of.

I tend to think they did the entire chewing/spitting thing in part because it makes a great advertisement/marketing ploy. Not saying that is a bad thing. It is just really interesting to people who have never heard of it. My family thought it was cool and gross at the same time. It really peaked their interests.

The other reason might be because Sam just wanted everyone to chew 40 pounds of corn because he is mad brewer? :p

Those are the only reasons I can think of.

Yeah I know, the whole chew/spit thing has more "cache" but I wonder if just making a huge spit starter really would work?

Yeah I know, the whole chew/spit thing has more "cache" but I wonder if just making a huge spit starter really would work?

I see. That would be an interesting idea to try. Oddly enough that episode has made me want to make a chicha. If I ever get around to it I'll give it a shot. :)

I thoroughly enjoyed the episode last night. The trip to Peru was Anthony Bourdainish (one of my favorite shows right now). I love to see how other cultures produce and enjoy alcohol. I grew up a Mormon, so alcohol has always been considered evil, but as I see more of the world, it's a huge part of almost all cultures and history. The show has me interested in trying as many different beers as I can.

I see. That would be an interesting idea to try. Oddly enough that episode has made me want to make a chicha. If I ever get around to it I'll give it a shot. :)

I've been thinking the same thing.......but probably won't have the cajones to try. I double dog dare you!!!!

Though having a hand made chicha basket to filter wort through might be cool.

I've been thinking the same thing.......but probably won't have the cajones to try. I double dog dare you!!!!

Though having a hand made chicha basket to filter wort through might be cool.

Okay, it is on! I'll get to it sometime, but it'll be in my mind. :)

Back