Brew Kettle Fasle Bottom... Yet Again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rp5brew

Reaction score
I am currently building a sabco clone- I purchased the Sabco FB for the MLT but I have yet to find ANYTHING that is the perfect fit for brewing with 100% pellet hops. I figured if I was going to build a "test brewery" that would be repeatable I might as well use the most reapeatable utilization that I could; Pellet hops. I am using a reverse engineered chill wizard. To the point:

If i purchased this FB from adventures in homebrewing:
http://www.homebrewing.org/10-Stainless-Steel-Flat-False-bottom-for-keg-kettles_p_1009.html

And placed this on top of it cut to 12" round
http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Perforated--176-99-Straight-Spacing/dp/B000FMYVRQ/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1297179680&sr=8-20
(thus spacing in 1/2" above the FB") and supported it in a few spots with stainless bolts and washers- would the holes- (9/200" in simplest terms...) filter out pellet hops if i did a good whirlpool? clogging potential?

The amazon is 26 gauge sheetmetal, so not the sturdyest in the world, but with a few well placed washers and bolts i would thing that it could be supported well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use that FB in my kettle and it works great. With WHOLE HOPS.

I have been completely changing my system lately going to gravity and then to a single tier in about 6 weeks time adding some new components along the way. I kegged an Ale last week and noticed my yeast cakes seemed to be about 1/3 the size I normally see. Poking around I noticed it was almost all yeast. Very little trub. Racked another beer into carboys this weekend and it was the same. Hardly any trub.

I thought back and boiled it down to the addition of the false bottom and dip tube which replaced the bazooka screen and tilting. The difference was incredible.

Back to your post, I see what you are saying with repeatability but you are in the Great North West. Whole hops!

Latest posts

Back