Brew Jacket... Anyone ever try DIY semiconductor heating / cooling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdawg86

Reaction score
I have been looking at the brew jacket for the last several weeks. Its 300 bucks and I just can't get myself to pull the trigger when I can buy a SSBrewtech brew bucket with FTSS for not a ton more.

I (accidentally) ran across some semiconductor water coolers on ebay and it started to make me wonder. Can I create a cooling loop for the FTSS coil using a semiconductor cooler? I wouldn't be looking to cold crash or lager, so am wondering if a 50 dollar cooler like listed in link can be rigged up to control temperatures on a 5 gallon brew? It just seems the Brew Jacket is a semi conductor cooling apparatus with a large rod as a heatsink, so why wouldn't a triple unit like this be able to control temps in the 60's? Here is the link below. Maybe smarter minds than I can comment. It

For what it's worth, even running two of these in series, from inside my keezer for best temp gradient, would still, with pump and inkbird controller be less than a Brew Jacket. Am I crazy?

Peltier Cooling Loop

I used a homemade peltier cooler for temp control for about a year. It was great fun to build and mess around with. I used an Arduino controller. I learned a ton about both peltiers and programming Arduino's in the process. For me that made it worth it.

I eventually bought a freezer off of Craigslist and moved my controller over to that. The peltier setup had a number of shortcomings. Probably the most important one was that my engineering would fail from time to time. I got tired of fixing it! lol

The think about the Peltiers is that they are not very powerful. I had a two chip setup. I delivered the cooling to a glass carboy with a 25' long 1/4" copper tube that was coiled around the carboy. I insulated by wrapping it all up in packing blankets and securing it with bungies.

Because the system has limited cooling, efficiency of heat transfer is critical. You need to make sure the chips are super efficient at moving the cooling to the heat exchange block. That is the blue aluminum block in the example you linked. Having really good technique with thermal paste is important there. (That was a learning curve for me.) I would think that the unit you showed would require some serious insulation. It is going to loose a ton of cooling just in the aluminum retainer plates and the lines that loop them all together. Depending on your ambient temperatures and humidity, you are also going to get condensation. Insulation will help with that, if you do a good job of sealing it up.

What I found in my time using one is that, even when I got things working really well, that it just barely had enough cooling to get down to the low 60's. (Especially in the summer, even in my relatively cool basement.) I was able to get about a 10 degrees delta from ambient with mine. It also really struggled during very vigorous ferments raising the temp. I found that for some brews the insulation around the carboy stopped it from shedding heat and the cooler could not fully keep up.

The design of the one you linked is interesting though. I constructed mine with the peltier on either side of a single water block. The unit you showed appears to be in series. That would allow the second and third blocks to start cooling at a lower temps. It would be interesting to see how well that worked.

The other piece of advice I would give you, is that the mechanics of pumps, cooling fluid, and heat transfer into your fermenter cost you a lot of efficiency. That is inevitable of course, but because the peltier doesn't have a lot of extra capacity it is essential to come up with a really good design. (I was using glass carboys, which also create some inefficiencies in heat transfer.)

The brew jacket tries to avoid many of these losses by only having two transfer surfaces. The peltier to the rod and the rod to the beer. My water cooled system had 5 (Peltier to block, block to water, water to tubing, tubing to fermenter, fermenter to beer.) Toward the end of my time with my system I had contemplated making something like the brew jacket cooler. However, if I was going to continue to use liquid cooling. I had plans to make a stainless tubing bundle that would fit down the mouth of the carboy and sit in the beer. I figured this would greatly increase efficiency.

As I said, this was a really fun learning experience for me. I don't regret it at all. Before I spent more time investing in that system, I got a really good chest freezer off Craigslist for $50. Which is way less than I spent on peltiers and the associated equipment. (They do burn out if you don't adequately cool the hot side.) I had the space for the freezer, and for me it was a wonderful choice that didn't need fixing all the time. It just works and I can rely on it to do it's job.

Whatever you do, please keep us updated.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to control fermentation temps without adding a lot of stuff to store in the house or garage. My wife is already complaining about how much brew gear I have. I was thinking about a freezer or fridge to make a fermentation chamber. I'd like to find something that works well but a smaller size. I do brew 8-gallon or larger batches and will likely use 2 fermenters most of the time - until I can justify or save enough for a large enough conical.
How about something like THIS with an immersion chiller in a fermenting bucket, sealed up tight with some insulating material over it. I think a very small immersion chiller coil is all that would be needed. Or, use the same thing in a conical instead of a fermenting bucket. Hook a small pump up to it, a couple one-wire temp sensors, a CraftbeerPi controller.

I suppose with a carboy, you could put the carboy in a tub and use this cooler externally to control water temp, based on wort temp in the carboy.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Back