Brew in the bag (BITB) with 11Litre Pot (conversion and general questions within!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bionara

Reaction score
After much deliberation, I'm going to do a Brew in the bag tomorrow morning for the first time. This will be my first beer (I hope!) that didn't require a can opener!

I have Graham Wheeler's British Real Ale book which has loads of great recipes. They are done for 19L brew (which has 28.3 total liquor and 12.3 mash liquor). My pot is 11L, so I think converting the 19L recipe to 8L is doable (tell me if I'm wrong!).

I'm going to try an ambitious Old Peculiar. While I cannot post the recipes (copyright), are my thinkings on size conversions for grain correct? ie 4510g/19 * 8 = 1900, therefore I should use 1900 for the 8L brew in the bag?

Here's the full grain conversion that I'll try:

Code:
water  :   19L        8L BITB
grain A:   4510g      1900g
grain B:   245g       103.2g
grain C:   175g       73.7g

This brings my total grain weight to about 2kg. Is that too much for an 11L pan? Have I grossly misunderstood something here?

Thanks for the help and patience. I look forward to raising a glass in the direction of your homes soon! :mug:

The way you are scaling the recipe is fine.
I'm not sure if water and grain will fit in your pot as I'm metric illiterate :) If it won't, you can always mash with as much as will fit and sparge with the rest.

Thank you Euphist.

What you said sounds great, thanks!. Updating you with imperials for clarity!

Code:
water:     4.17 Gal     1.76 Gal
grain A:   9.94lb         4.18lb
grain B:   0.54lb         0.23lb
grain C:   0.38lb         0.16lb

Sorry for the sloppy conversion but I'm used to using gallons instead of liters. I brew 11 liter batches (approximately) in a 20 liter pot BIAB and when I dough in the liquid plus the grains puts me pretty close to the top. You need to have more water than you expect because of the absorption by the grains plus the amount you will boil off. The amount that you boil off will be partly determined by the shape of the pot, wider pots will boil off more than a taller, narrower pot and it will also depend on how vigorously you boil. I try to keep my boil pretty mild and still boil off about 2 liters.

Btw no recipes can be copyrighted, for beer, food or otherwise. The only way it could be copyrighted is if you end up with a completely unexpected result, for instance following a recipe using common beer ingridients and ending up wth enchiladas.

Back