Brew in a Coors Keg??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Should be stainless steel I think. A lot brew with keggles with the tops cut off. Not sure what the side keg of you speak of looks like

Almost like a 1/4 party barrel but its not, its a 1/2 barrel, just not a straight side as the newer ones. This was specific to Coors I think, when you google it, you have to google Coors 15.5 keg and it shows the pics.

if itis stainless then sure.

Type in how to make a keggle on youtube and you will learn everything you need. i just converted a keg into a keggle with an angle grinder and a drill. you can purchase a weldless ball valve and you have an awesome brew pot!

i am leaving work early to go brew another beer. i also use the BIAB (brew in a bag) method so you only need one pot.

:mug:

Yes, you can use it. Doesn't matter if it's aluminum either (which I doubt it is). Aluminum is fine for brewing, I have an aluminum turkey fryer pot that I use on extract batches.

I am almost positive these kegs are stainless. I know some European and Australian breweries use aluminum but know of none that use them here in the US, at least since the 70's. Most US kegs are made from demagnetized stainless but you can tell by scratching the outside a bit with a nail or a key. If it is dull then it is aluminum, if it is shiny then you have stainless. Does your keg have a Spartanburg stamp on the top? A lot of US kegs are made by Spartanburg Steel in SC or a subsidiary in South Africa.

I do BIAB, and I do my 10 gallon batches in a Coors keggle:

30368d1311439564-brew-bag-stand-07232011199.jpg

Mine is defintely stainless, but I've also heard that there are some aluminum ones floating around. Most of them are stainless, though.

I do BIAB, and I do my 10 gallon batches in a Coors keggle:

30368d1311439564-brew-bag-stand-07232011199.jpg

Mine is defintely stainless, but I've also heard that there are some aluminum ones floating around. Most of them are stainless, though.

Well mine looks exactly like yours, except yours is much shinier than mine:rockin:

I half-azzed buffing it with a small black and decker sander. I really just did enough to clean the nicks and scrapes. About 20 min. of sanding.

Back