Brew Hut Raising Weekend - 4/25

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The weather did not cooperate today. We had some serious rains storms today. I wanted to get the roof under felt paper at least but it started to pour as soon as we got the first section tacked on.

BrewhausBuild16.jpg

Yuri Rage played roofer/Ben Franklin Lightning Rod till we got him down safely. Things got slick up there and that put roof work on hold till next weekend.

BrewhausBuild17.jpg

We finally went to Lowe's and picked up a heavy duty 20x30 plastic tarp and covered the roof with it and got it tied in place very well. It's not going any where. Here, Locksmith Yuri is working to install the door hardware. We now have fully functional locking door. Whoo Hoo! Thanks for your help today Yuri!

BrewhausBuild18.jpg

It's all tucked away till next weekend as time permits working on it with my family, friends & neighbors. I'm amazed at how much we accomplished in such a short time. Now it is a work in progress, but I can't wait till things dry out and we can begin to get the roof finished and the siding on so the inside finishing can begin.

BrewhausBuild19.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to share all of this, I love checking in for updates. It's fun to watch someone pull off a feat like this, your progress is amazing.

Brewtopia said:
Ya'all want to come to Seattle and help build a brewery? ;)

Looks great Ed!

Will you need help still in July? My father lives on Mercer Island and i might end up there for most of the summer, i get back in July. I'd be willing to do some ***** work.

Ed, looks amazing. Maybe one of these years i'll head down and we can talk bavarian and share stories from Germany. I even have the bavarian lions tattood on my back!

I'd be curious as to the total cost of materials, etc once this is complete. We were thinking about doing something like this for my buddy as a wedding present...

NoClueBrewMaster said:
I'd be curious as to the total cost of materials, etc once this is complete. We were thinking about doing something like this for my buddy as a wedding present...

So far, we are on track to have it completed with wiring, 60 AMP service, A/C, Cold Room framed with A/C for right about $4K.

I will still have to insulate it, put up sheet rock, lighting, plumbing, 8 Perlick Faucets, and tile the floor.

Yuri_Rage said:
Ed thanks for all the hospitality. It was a pleasure to lend a hand!

Thank YOU. I'm glad you did not slide off the roof in the rain! Welcome to the mod squad!

BuffaloSabresBrewer said:
Yuri how did you become a mod anyways? Did you have to cut the head off of another mod?

He took the Red pill when he shoulda taken the green one. What goes down the rabbit hole never comes back up. :drunk:

dangnabbit rabbits ed you were supposed to wait for me to help:D ,
that looks awesome man may the beer gods smile upon you and yours:rockin:

Otis The Drunk said:
When you sheetrock are you going to texture coat????
Sorry I had to ask since I do construction for a living.

What's texture coat? Is that the stuff they spray on the sheetrock for texture before they paint it?

EdWort said:
What's texture coat? Is that the stuff they spray on the sheetrock for texture before they paint it?

Looks nice on "work area" walls and hides dings, dents and other oops moments.

I have it on the walls in my garage.

Looks incredible. Can't wait too see the finished project!

EdWort said:
How is it applied by a DIY'er

You can go two routes. they sell small spray cans at any hardware, but they are expensive. Or you can buy/borrow/rent a Pnuematic texture gun, get some drywall mud, wet it down, and spray it on. you then have the option of "knocking it down" (troweling it), or leaving it be which is referred to as "orange peel." Texture is what almost everyone has on their drywall in their house, there are simply different finished looks you can go for. It's pretty easy, and really adds that finished look.

Good luck, and keep thos pics coming!

Bernie Brewer said:
Good! Make sure to bury TWO pipes, one for phone and cable. I know, I know, you may not WANT it right now, but if you change your mind you're covered.

I gotta second this. My dad and brother came to help me run water and wiring to my new detached garage. My dad insisted we through in extra cat5 and we ended up using it to run low-voltage switches so we can turn on and off the garage lights from the house. Also, there's strands left for phone if we need it. The tubing for the water was easy and we installed a yard hydrant, which was simple as well, so I now have water just outside the building. We're actually now working on a plan to bring in a line through the wall that I can hook to the yard hydrant when I need it that will feed a utility sink just on the other side of the wall.

Running extra stuff is cheap and worth it in the long run.

nathan said:
I gotta second this. My dad and brother came to help me run water and wiring to my new detached garage. My dad insisted we through in extra cat5 and we ended up using it to run low-voltage switches so we can turn on and off the garage lights from the house. Also, there's strands left for phone if we need it. The tubing for the water was easy and we installed a yard hydrant, which was simple as well, so I now have water just outside the building. We're actually now working on a plan to bring in a line through the wall that I can hook to the yard hydrant when I need it that will feed a utility sink just on the other side of the wall.

Running extra stuff is cheap and worth it in the long run.

All right. I'll run an extra pipe with RG59 coax and 2 Cat6 lines out there. I'm sure I'll find some use for them. Thanks for the nudge.

EdWort said:
All right. I'll run an extra pipe with RG59 coax and 2 Cat6 lines out there. I'm sure I'll find some use for them. Thanks for the nudge.

I would go with RG6 instead of RG59 if you plan on ever running digital through there.

mmb said:
You can rent a texture sprayer and then use a drywall blade to "knock down" the texture.

http://www.extremehowto.com/xh/article.asp?article_id=60312

Something like that is how we did our garage. Mostly you see it on ceilings, but it makes a good work area wall as well.
Or you could go with an orangepeel finish. Opted to do that on my recently done celing. It was down to knockdown or orangepeel, SWMBO and I liked them both equaly. Instead of flipping a coin I just decided to do orangepeel because it's easier. :D BOTH look awesome!

Grimsawyer said:
Or you could go with an orangepeel finish. Opted to do that on my recently done celing. It was down to knockdown or orangepeel, SWMBO and I liked them both equaly. Instead of flipping a coin I just decided to do orangepeel because it's easier. :D BOTH look awesome!

But on walls I'd go with knockdown for just the brush by factor. If you bush up against orange peel, it may chip off. Knockdown is fairly flat as is and won't be affected.

Looks great man. :mug:

I vote orangepeel. If you suck with a trowel you'll see lines on knockdown.

man, this is why I joined this forum. so many like minded souls out there. I imagine the day when I too shall own a brewhut.

mmb said:
But on walls I'd go with knockdown for just the brush by factor. If you bush up against orange peel, it may chip off. Knockdown is fairly flat as is and won't be affected.

Just from a professioal cook's perspective, I would keep it flat and paint it high gloss. Textured walls are hard to keep clean, expecially in a place where sprays and splashes happen. Smooth is easy to wipe done

Just my $.02

John

EdWort said:
How is it applied by a DIY'er

Do the cheap and easy DIY version.
Thin down some drywall mud with water and put it on the walls with a paint roller then paint like normal. I will give a nice texture without the need for trowel work and won't brush off if you hit it:D

Back