Brew Gloves, Bare Feet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Please discuss the relative pros and cons of wearing brew gloves while brewing barefoot.

gloves-60741.jpg

I won the brew gloves at a raffle for our homebrew club last Friday, so I felt kind of obliged to wear them. They insulate pretty well, didn't need to use hot pads at all.

I took vacation days yesterday and today to be with my oldest son, who returned from Turkey on Monday (he was on an internship with the US Embassy). We hadn't seen him since mid-May, he wanted to brew, so we made a Nelson Sauvin APA. Today, we golfed, and I shot my typical round - shoot an 8 on one hole and par the next.

We should play together sometime. We'd get along famously.

Happy your son is coming. Have a great day, and don't forget shoes!

Shoot, from May 'til Turkey Day I'm always brewing barefoot on my deck. I'll concede mocassins from Turkey Day 'til the snow starts flying, then I move the rig into my shop, set up the ventilation system, and brew in there 'til May - usually in mocs again, but sometimes barefoot.

Actually the smartest thing I've done wrt brewing is to set up that ventilation system for the winter brewing. It is the bomb: shop has its own computer, HD teevee, sound system, a decent enough chair, and the keezer isn't that far away, I can hang in there and brew while the weather - or whole world, for that matter - goes to hell :rockin:

Gloves? Handy for squeezing hop bags, I use lined PVC gloves, $5 a pair from HD. Excellent for that, but don't touch a smokin' hot burner with 'em, they will melt...

Cheers!

I always brew barefoot. I don't think I'm able to wear shoes while brewing, actually.

I know my pro brewer friends wear big rubber boots while in the brewhouse. You could do that! Get turquoise matching rubber boots to make up a set.

Then, leave them both off because we are homebrewers. We don't need no stinking safety gear.

Oh, and tell Hugh "welcome home" from me!

Do those gloves make your hands and arms sweat? We have chemical and puncture resistant gloves at work and they are terrible to wear for more than a half hour, tops. It's worse when it's hot out.

Speaking of green boots, response suit boots are often green.

I like the wader and gloves idea but that's all you can where nothing ELSE and i mean nothing else.

How many hot pots, spoons, hoses, etc. do you grab with your feet?

I wear sandals because I don't want my tan lines showing.

I like the wader and gloves idea but that's all you can where nothing ELSE and i mean nothing else.

Oh, man, that would be great. I'm so tempted now to put on my waders, and find gloves like that and take a photo and see if it's ridiculous or sexy.

I'm leaning towards ridiculous, like that photo I posted a while back of me in my union suit holding a hockey stick, and wearing a stormy kromer. :D

Pappers, you could do it. That'd be great.

Oh, man, that would be great. I'm so tempted now to put on my waders, and find gloves like that and take a photo and see if it's ridiculous or sexy.

I'm leaning towards ridiculous, like that photo I posted a while back of me in my union suit holding a hockey stick, and wearing a stormy kromer. :D

Pappers, you could do it. That'd be great.

Yoop, Thats so hot.

Plus pappers when your done you could make a big old starter and pour it into you waders and let nature take its course. Hell if they can get yeast from brewers breads why not your ......

Plus pappers when your done you could make a big old starter and pour it into you waders and let nature take its course. Hell if they can get yeast from brewers breads why not your ......

EWWWWWWW!

About that beard beer- I like John Maier alot. I had a beer with him at NHC. But I didn't touch him, and his beard is gnarly. I didn't drink that beer.

I'm going to have a beer with Pappers this weekend. Well, more than one I'm sure. And I'm NOT going to even think about this subject. :drunk:

I never wear gloves when brewing, but I always wear shoes. I brew in the garage and I KNOW what's on the garage floor. I just don't know WHERE it is!

Yooper said:
Yes, big turquoise waders!

Of course, if you're like me, you'd turn around and ask your buddy, "Do these waders make me look fat?" :D

Bob's answer the last time I wore waders: "Yes."

One thing I learnt as a much younger man is that the only WRONG answer to the "do these jeans make me look fat?" question is "I don't think it's the jeans"

Whoever came up with the bull that honesty is always the best policy never met my ex.....

"Do these jeans make my butt look bigger"
*thinks "they do, but I happen to prefer it that way, crap now what?"*

In other news, Pappers looks 0.0% like I thought he would.

I always brew barefoot. I brew in the garage and only wear shoes when the weather is cold enough to encourage it--which around here is January and one week of February. The problem for me going barefoot is that I use two big turkey fryers for brewing. I keep burning the hair off of the top of my toes and then enough boiling wort had splashed on me that my big toes are getting really funky looking. I'm not a hobbit but I sure have the feet for it.

I have very little hair on my lower legs from standing close to the brew kettle and stirring. No boots, shorts only, and I bought gloves once but I don't know where they are now.

This reminds me of the time I sat in on an early morning brew at an unnamed brewery. The brewer accidentally unscrewed a valve at he bottom of his sight gauge, spewing wort and burning the crap out of his hand because he screwed it back on with a rag. That guy DID NOT HAVE ANY GLOVES IN THE HOUSE, but everyone was wearing shoes

Edit: I did not cause that accident by the way

Back