Brew Equipment Books?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StefanM47

Reaction score
Hey, Just want to start by saying - I'm not sure this is the right forum category for this thread, but I couldn't find any one better.

I'm looking for experienced brewers (especially those who work as professional brewers) to suggest books to me. Specifically books on running large scale equipment.

If any of you have gone to brew school, what was your text book list? I'm incredibly interested in buying some!

Thanks in advance!

- Stefan

Large scale brewing equipment isn't that much different than homebrew equipment. The process is practically the same, larger scale breweries are typically just a bit more automated.

Maybe check out the probrew forum at http://www.probrewer.com/.

Brilliant! Thank you.
I mostly just want a book that loosely outlines the process and also has some instruction manual feel.
Either way - thanks for the help!

You could also look at Portland State Univ. craft brewing program to see if they have posted a syllabus. They do have a YouTube channel with a bunch of videos.

Sent from my C771 using Home Brew mobile app

In 2010, these were the preliminary books sent before beginning the American Brewer's Guild course.

Brewing by Young and Lewis, Chapman and Hall

Textbook of Brewing by Jean de Clerk

A 3 volume practical handbook for the specialty brewer:
1. Raw Materials and Brewhouse Operations
2. Fermentation, Cellaring and Packaging Operations
3. Brewing Engineering and Plant Operations

Hope this helps. Not sure of the source of that last one. As for the equipment, it is just like a big homebrew rig. The knowledge on the equipment side has to do mostly with fluid dynamics thermodynamics, and basic engineering and physics principals.

In addition to this, learning how to dismantle, clean, rebuild, and reassemble a pump would be an extremely valuable skill to master.

Thank you all so much. I've ordered a hand full as per your suggestions!

I recently came across a program offered at San Diego State.

http://www.ces.sdsu.edu/craftbeer

It looks pretty intense, in terms of you almost need an engineering background to even apply to the program. I have a little bit of an engineering background but not sure I am ready to quit my day job yet. You might be able to contact them and get a list of text books.

Back