Brew Easier (DIY system)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tombsy

Reaction score
Hey Everyone, I just wanted to show off my bastardized version of the Brew Easy system. Hopefully some tips from the community can help me make it even better. My goal was to build a system that was easy to step-up, use and clean while still incorporating recirculation. Full automation wasn't something I was interested initially.

My first attempt was to copy other designs and get a stainless basket and do biab. I enjoyed it and made decent beer, but really disliked cleaning the basket, plus it got kinda crushed. I then saw the Blichmann BrewEasy system and liked the concept, but wanted to make it a bit simpler.... so here it is.

The main kettle is a BC 1044. The mash tun that sits on top of the kettle is a BC 30qt pot with a hole cut in the bottom with a bain marie welded on. The bain marie then has 5x 1/16" holes drilled in the bottom. The bottom portion of the MT (bain marie) sits well into the kettle. A false bottom with 1/2" feet sits on the bottom and then grain on top of that. I use a SSBrewtech recirculation manifold on top of that. Here are some images.

Kettle and Mash Tun.
15EgKuz.jpg

Inside Mash Tun.
wNXhASs.jpg

Bottom Mash Tun.
P2ShZ2f.jpg

Assembled Mast Tun.
gxfkIh1.jpg

Mash Tun in use.
K9ZF6Qk.jpg

Assembled System in use. (Black is homemade insulated jacket)
qFoQV88.jpg

The first brew was a bit of a pain in the butt. The system was too tall to fit under my stove vent, so I had to move it to a cart. When I mashed in, the temp dropped too low, so I had to move system back to the stove. Ugh. Once everything was finally setup it ran quite smoothly. I was surprised that with no control over the flow from the MT to the Kettle that it was so easy to maintain the level of wort in the mash.

This was a no sparge brew, so once i was done mashing out I just had to lift the top mash tun out. This was WAY easier than lifting a biab bag or basket out as it was not sitting in the wort. Then I just proceeded as normal.

My goals were mostly met, but in the future I will brew on an induction cooktop that is much lower. This will help correct most of the things that didn't go according to plan. I also made this compatible with my "fusti" style fermenters. This leaves the door open for a brew and ferment in a kettle.

rMSYMu7.jpg

Thanks for reading. I would love to hear some feed back on this "brew easier" system.

I like the brew and ferment in the Fusti idea. Was it hard to lift the mash tun off the brew kettle and allow for drainage of the grains or was the wort level below the bottom the bain marie? Adding a rims tube would help with your mash temp control, heck you already have the pump for a RIMS. Even if was just a simple temp controller like a Ronco or STC you could control temps on the fly and cheaply.

My next batch I will try the brew and ferment in the Fusti and report back. The valve that came with the Fusti is brutal so I will need to upgrade it first. I ferment all the time in them and love it. Easy to carry and clean. Lid can seal fairly well with the rubber gasket, but I just put the lid on loosely and allow the pressure to push through. I found them for $88 CDN which for any Americans out there would be fairly cheap with the current exchange rate.

The mash tun was not heavy (just think wet grains), but I did have to remove it slowly as there was wort in the bain marie, but not much. It was made more awkward standing on a step ladder. Next time I will brew lower to the ground so I won't need the ladder.

I will look into the RIMS. Thanks for the suggestion.

Latest posts

Back