Brew Dog DIY Dog

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sdiddy84

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has tried any of the recipes that Brew Dog released? I'm thinking of trying the Hunter Foundation Pale Ale next brew and was wondering what recipes people have attempted from them.

Myself and a number of Brewers here in Halifax did an exchange. I picked "how to disappear" completely because I love Radiohead. There were nearly 10 of us, most of the brews were delicious.

I remember some people being questionable about how the recipes were scaled down. Some things didn't seem to add up.

I've noticed a few conversion errors from Metric to Imperial. Most of the recipes I put into Beersmith comes out with the wrong colour listed.

There was some questions about the hop additions, some about the fermentation temps.

For example my recipe called for Ardennes yeast but kept at 64 degrees the entire time.

The first batch with that yeast surprisingly came out decent in the end but took a long conditioning phase to clean up a lot of fermentation byproducts. On the other hand if I would have employed a typical Belgian temp schedule it may have ruined the beer with an unbalanced hops-phenols.

all batches of beer I made with yeast harvested from it showed signs of poor yeast health.

Perhaps this is exactly what they had planned but it seemed an odd choice of yeast for a 100 IBU IPA and odd choice of procedure.

I could have worded that a bit better.

Belgian yeast put off more Esters and phenolics during fermentation than some of the cleaner strains. Anywhere from funky to fruity, spicey and tropical. It's the signature of the style and the beers are made for these to shine through.

You can imagine how tricky it can be when brewing with these yeasts and a pile of American citrus hops. It's a tough balance.

I've pulled it off twice and the other three I made I poured out. They actually got worse with age.

I had a bunch at mikeller and friends in Iceland

I'm trying to remember the ones that stood out but it's hard since we also had a bit of a competition to see who could make the best label and that's all that I'm recalling right now.

I brewed the elvis juice recipe in there and it was fantastic

I'm planning on brewing the Elvis juice as it is my wife's fave beer. The recipe calls for "as much citrus peel as you dare and FV". How much did you dare to use? And what is FV?

I've wondered that too. I've seen it in a few recipes. I'm thinking it means Fermentation Vessel. So I would add the orange peel to Secondary. Not sure if anyone else knows the proper answer though.

Fermentation Vessel for FV seems to make sense. So I wonder if it is suggesting adding the peel to the hop boil and also in the fermentation vessel. Would be good to know what anyone else did and how it turned out.

Latest posts

Back