Brew Cube 13gal Fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdbreen

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
While browsing for 1gal fermenters, I came across this 13gal fermenter at AHS which I hadn't seen before. Well, hadn't seen used for this purpose before.

I've seen these recommended for grain storage, but not fermenting. The us plastics site says they have a gasket lid, are dishwasher safe and meet FDA requirements.

Sounds like an ideal and cheap option for fermenting 10gal batches - but I haven't heard of them used for this. Does any one use these for fermenting? Do they work?

EDIT: Size wise (14"x14"x20"), seems like they would be ideal for lagering as well.

I have something like that. I am fermenting in them right now, they seem to work good I will have a better idea in a few weeks when I get to taste the beer in its near finished state.

This is the same thing as a vittles vault for dog food storage.

Austin Homebrew Supply has a decent price on them.

As has been said... that is a vittles vault used for dog food. You can get them at many places as well like petsmart and walmart. I use one for grain storage. I can fit an entire 55# sack of grain in it.

Just for the record vessel geometry does make a difference in the finished product. What and how much? Now that is for another day. But in talking w/ some Pro brewers like John Abbot (creator of Kona's Longboard lager) He has said several times to me that vessel geometry is a key role in the finished beer. Why? Not really sure but I can shoot him a call if you want. Maybe I can get him on the board to chime in.
Jay

I picked one up from AHS, but haven't made a large enough batch yet to use it. I will definitely write up a review once I get some use out of it. I'm excited about the possibilities. I'm thinking I can do 12 gallons, but not sure if I'll need a blow off. Stay tuned.

I got the e-mail announcement about this about a week after I got my brew sculpture. First thing I thought when I saw it is that it looks just like my dog food container. I think for now I will just split my batches into BetterBottles since it is easier to carry them down to the basement to ferment. Can't imagine 10 gallons in one of those cubes would be the easiest thing to move from the driveway to the basement

I would make a 10 gallon batch and then transfer to two 5 gallon carboys. Why mess with a blow off and lose beer?

Forrest

Yea I am doing just fine with that method now. Would be nice to just use one piece of equipment, cut down on sanitizing/cleaning, but BB's do the job just fine

I also heard from Brew Strong show that the yeast do not do a very good job in the corners of the square fermenters.

If you underpitch that might be a problem in a square fermenter. The Brew Cube interior is rounded and there are not any sharp corners so it should not be a problem.

These are becoming very popular. Another homebrew store sells them for $76, we only charge $44.99.

Everyone should move to 10 gallon batches. It takes about the same amount of time to brew 10 gallons vs 5 gallons.

How long did that last batch take to drink? Just sayin...

Forrest

Those look interesting, but I brew outside and my fermentation chiller is upstairs. Carrying full 6 gallon Better Bottles up and down the stairs is bad enough. I could not carry that fermenter with 10 gallons in it up there...well, not twice.

:eek:

a brew hauler on that bad boy would would make it a helluva lot easier

Those look interesting, but I brew outside and my fermentation chiller is upstairs. Carrying full 6 gallon Better Bottles up and down the stairs is bad enough. I could not carry that fermenter with 10 gallons in it up there...well, not twice.

:eek:

I'm in the same boat. But not just that: but I designed my fermentation chamber to fit ale pails. Having to remake it to fit a bigger fermentor is not on my books right now!

Assuming you get something else at Austin Homebrew Supplies, it'll be cheaper than Petsmart by a buck. Not a bad deal.

If you underpitch that might be a problem in a square fermenter. The Brew Cube interior is rounded and there are not any sharp corners so it should not be a problem.

These are becoming very popular. Another homebrew store sells them for $76, we only charge $44.99.

Everyone should move to 10 gallon batches. It takes about the same amount of time to brew 10 gallons vs 5 gallons.

Forrest

I do not think that is an accurate statement that everyone should brew 10 gallons. In may case I would hate it because I would rather brew more often and refine my brewing skills. Takes me 2-3 months to go through a 5 gallon corny and by the time that keg is done I am bored with that beer.

I do not think that is an accurate statement that everyone should brew 10 gallons. In may case I would hate it because I would rather brew more often and refine my brewing skills. Takes me 2-3 months to go through a 5 gallon corny and by the time that keg is done I am bored with that beer.

Sounds like you need more taps :D

Actually, one of my favorite parts of ten gallon batches is being able to A) Store away a keg and taste it after has aged for months or more or B) being able to put a beer that I was fond of back on tap after I kicked it!

To each his own though, bigger batches are not for everyone.

I'm in the same boat. But not just that: but I designed my fermentation chamber to fit ale pails. Having to remake it to fit a bigger fermentor is not on my books right now!

That isn't an issue. My fermentation chamber will hold two six gallon better bottles, two 5 gallon kegs and a 3 gallon keg (but it is crowded with all that).

Getting it up the stairs and INTO the chamber is the issue. My lid is on top, so I have to lift everything up, over the side. OUCH!

With 10 gallons of plain water in it that thing would weigh 83.5 pounds. Something to consider, but I do like the idea of batches lasting long enough to watch a brew mature and change over time.

Forrest

Yeah. I'm dealing with that decision right now. I'll be splitting most sessions with my son, so...... I'm also considering 3 gallon splits because of the stairs that will be involved. No place to put it all in one spot, sigh....

The best thing to do is what I did. I made a 2 1/2 foot stand made of 2x4s and plywood with 4 casters. The stand is movable and just the right height to siphon to carboys below. Basically put the fermenter where it will ferment when it is empty. Then fill it and never move it, just siphon.

Forrest

Back