Brew an Authentic German Style Hef?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JR_Ewing

Reaction score
I'd like to brew an authentic German style Hefeweizen using partial or BIAB approach.

How hard is to get really close to some of the best German varieties? I've heard from some other brewers that everything they do comes out more like an American Wheat. They say, to do one like I'd like, you really need German wheat malt and yeast strains you can't easily get here.

Thanks.

Would also appreciate tips or recipes. :confused:

Where are you located? Do you have access to liquid yeast by White Labs or Wyeast? If your only options are dry yeast, Danstar Munich yeast will do a pretty decent job for a Bavarian style Hef.

You just need one of the hefe strains from white labs or Wyeast, some pilsner, and some wheat. Just watch out for sulfur off flavors.

A bavarian hefe is one of the easier beers to brew. Here is one that I like and its really cheap and easy.

7# Wheat
4# Pilsner
1/2# Rice Hulls

.75oz Hallertau 45 min
.25oz Hallertau 15 min

3068 Wyeast -

The hard part (depending on your equipment) is to do a step or decoction mash. I always use a protein rest at 122 when I am using wheat. I went 122 for 20 minutes, 151 for 40 minutes and a mash out at 168 for 10 minutes. You could obviously adjust this mash schedule. When I first brewed this beer I didn't have my HERM's system so I drained off about 2.5 gallons from the protein rest and brought it to a boil (you have to adjust your mash water amount to account for this). I then added that boiled wort back to the mash to raise the temp to 151. Then I took off another 3 gallons and brought that to a boil and added that to raise the temp for my mash out. With a true decoction you typically take grain and wort but I just took the wort to make things easier and it came out great.

I typically ferment it for about 10 - 14 days and then go straight to the bottle or keg.

I love this beer and I am sure you will as well if you like hefe's.

TahoeRy said:
A bavarian hefe is one of the easier beers to brew. Here is one that I like and its really cheap and easy.

7# Wheat
4# Pilsner
1/2# Rice Hulls

.75oz Hallertau 45 min
.25oz Hallertau 15 min

3068 Wyeast -

The hard part (depending on your equipment) is to do a step or decoction mash. I always use a protein rest at 122 when I am using wheat. I went 122 for 20 minutes, 151 for 40 minutes and a mash out at 168 for 10 minutes. You could obviously adjust this mash schedule. When I first brewed this beer I didn't have my HERM's system so I drained off about 2.5 gallons from the protein rest and brought it to a boil (you have to adjust your mash water amount to account for this). I then added that boiled wort back to the mash to raise the temp to 151. Then I took off another 3 gallons and brought that to a boil and added that to raise the temp for my mash out. With a true decoction you typically take grain and wort but I just took the wort to make things easier and it came out great.

I typically ferment it for about 10 - 14 days and then go straight to the bottle or keg.

I love this beer and I am sure you will as well if you like hefe's.

^^this^^
Just about identical to mine and its delicious!
I also do the exact same recipe and add 4oz of peach extract for a peach hefe for all the ladies and they love it!

I've been very satisfied with 3068 pitching at 62 and ramping to 68-70degF. I do a single infusion around 152, 50-50 malted barley and wheat. 1lb rice hulls per 5gal final beer volume.

I agree that a hefe is actually a very easy beer, especially if you're brewing all grain. No decocting required. Just choose your ingredients well, pitch plenty of yeast and make sure you control the fermenter temp. Drink it young.

Here is my hefe:

4.0 lb pilsner
6.0 lb wheat malt
1.0 lb 6-10L Munich malt
WLP351
5.5 grams magnum (16.4% AA @ 90 min): 11 IBU

This is crystal clear in bottles at 5 weeks after priming, so drink it before then, or pour some of the yeast from the bottle when serving if you want the cloudy look.

Back