Bretter Than Ezra Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sacandagabrewing

Reaction score
this is a recipe I did a couple weeks back. It was pretty simple, some Whole Foods unfiltered apple juice and a squeeze of lemon. Pitched it with Brett C (WLP 645?)

It came out as one of the best ciders I have ever had. It has this sort of funky. Sort of pineapple scent. The taste is very full bodies with a fruity funk. It also has a very full body as opposed to most ciders that get watery. I cannot emphasize it enough to use this yeast! I have another one that I will sit for a few months, this is about two weeks out. Happy Trails!

Attachments

• F8035896-0B32-4FE2-89B9-E469B90AF015.jpeg
    F8035896-0B32-4FE2-89B9-E469B90AF015.jpeg
    169.2 KB · Views: 198
OG? FG? Batch size? No added nutrients? How much lemon juice? Did you direct pitch? How fresh was the pack? Did you aerate? Fermentation temperature? Temperature control or free rise? How long did you leave in primary? Any bulk aging in secondary and if yes, how long? Any fining? Did you bottle or keg? Did you carbonate? How many volumes did you calculate? What type of priming sugar? Did you take any pH or TA measurements?
Thanks

OG? FG? Batch size? No added nutrients? How much lemon juice? Did you direct pitch? How fresh was the pack? Did you aerate? Fermentation temperature? Temperature control or free rise? How long did you leave in primary? Any bulk aging in secondary and if yes, how long? Any fining? Did you bottle or keg? Did you carbonate? How many volumes did you calculate? What type of priming sugar? Did you take any pH or TA measurements?
Thanks

- Og: 1.046
- FG: 1.002
-No Added Nutrients
-It was only a 1 gallon batch to see how the yeast worked with cider so i used about 1/3 of a lemon
- Direct Pitch, I got the yeast pack the day before from austin homebrew so it was fresh
- After pitch, i aerated by shaking the heck out of it for about a minute and a half
-Fermentation temperature was 70 degrees, the temperature of my apartment but there was no maintenance of that. Whatever happened, happened!
- I left it in primary for about three weeks. It took two weeks to get moving but once it started, the gravity dropped pretty quickly. No Secondary
- Bottled in 16 oz EZ cap flip tops. I used one coopers carbonation tablet and that gave it a pretty good carbonation
- No PH or TA measurements.

Hopefully this is a little more information that will help everyone out!

Yes it was! Honestly I’m surprised about how well it came out. It is an assertive flavor but still would give a lot of room to play around with flavor additions. I definitely think I might make Brett my go to cider yeast from now on

Yes it was! Honestly I’m surprised about how well it came out. It is an assertive flavor but still would give a lot of room to play around with flavor additions. I definitely think I might make Brett my go to cider yeast from now on

A couple years ago my homebrew club had a cider maker come by and share a bunch of his cider with us. He brought a couple milk crates worth of different styles and yeasts. The best one that everyone agreed on was a cider fermented with a Roeselare blend. You have to be patient with this one, but wow...after about a year or two you will be rewarded.

A couple years ago my homebrew club had a cider maker come by and share a bunch of his cider with us. He brought a couple milk crates worth of different styles and yeasts. The best one that everyone agreed on was a cider fermented with a Roeselare blend. You have to be patient with this one, but wow...after about a year or two you will be rewarded.
That definitely sounds worth trying!

Back