Brett Strain Combos

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wernerherzog

Reaction score
Have heard people talk about combining several strains of brett to get complexity in beers and am really interested to know if anyone has experience to relate with different strain mixing in their brews. If so, please relate details about fermentation temperature, saccharomyces involved, bugs, time involved, pitch rates, etc...

Also curious if anyone has found any helpful literature on the topic anywhere on the web, even if it's just another thread.

I pitched Naard, Brux, and Anomala into a 1072 reddish wort this weekend. I'm not really sure what to expect. I'll let you know in 6wk how it tastes. The Naard and Brux were stepped up out of the vial, the Anomala was harvested from a blonde beer I made.

I pitched Naard, Brux, and Anomala into a 1072 reddish wort this weekend. I'm not really sure what to expect. I'll let you know in 6wk how it tastes. The Naard and Brux were stepped up out of the vial, the Anomala was harvested from a blonde beer I made.

I'm jealous that you got a hold of some ECY. I'm about to try a blend of White labs Bretts: 644 Brux trois, 645 Clauss, 653 Lambicus. I'm planning to throw them in with a mix of saison yeasts taken from bottle dregs of Saison DuPont and Great Divide Orabelle. I'm planning on keeping isolated starters of each brett strain in the fridge, but I figured that mixing brett strains is going to give me the most complex flavor profiles.

I bottled conditioned a Nelson Sauvin Saison with Brett Trois and Claussenii, extremely tropical and juicy. Paired well with the Nelson.

Thanks for the link..... I like Vinnie's technique of fermenting with one yeast (or in my case blend of yeasts: Dupont/Orabelle), cold crash, rack, and then add the brett blend. Seems like an ideal method to get the most flavors out of the different yeast strains.

We just brewed our first sour with one smack pack of sour specific yeast and then a sour tasting party full of bottle dregs. Just a quick comment so I can follow this and comment later with more details.

Cool, I pitched ecy naard and brux for a saison in secondary and have added strawberries and rhubarb.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Anyone see that ecy posted a couple of new pending vials up? One is the dirt dozen, with 12 Brett strains. Should make for a complex beer!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back