Brett Saison Timing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stadtbrau

Reaction score
I am not sure which section to post this question in as it is really just a timing/logistic type of question but I will start here in the Yeast area.
I brewed a double batch of Saison on Sunday. I pitched Belle Saison Dry yeast into one of the fermenters and 3711 French Saison Yeast into the other. One of these batches is also going to get dry hopped and also have Brett added. Fermentation kicked off like a rocket and I am just wondering how I should attack getting Brett in there (timing mainly) and getting it dry hopped for a few days. I am trying to minimize transfers. My plan was to wait until this fermentation has settled down and then add hops directly to primary for 4 days. And then rack to secondary to age with Brett culture. Does that make sense or am I going to want to get that Brett in there sooner?
Thanks in advance for the help.
Casey

I add brett to a lot of my saisons. I usually just let the yeast finish up and then transfer and add the brett. Brett does not need fermentable sugars to work. Give the brett plenty of time to work. I usually go about 4 months. then bottle. IF you are going to dry hop I would domthta a few days before you bottle. Doing it any earlier would just be a waste.

If you want some very good info on brett watch the Chad Yakobson videos. There are a series of three of them. Very informative.

I think you can pitch the brett whenever.

I just bottled what you did - 10 gallon batch, 5 gallons with omega saisonstein, 5 gallons with 3031 brett blend. At two weeks they were similar. Bottled the Saisonstein at 3 weeks (and 1.000 FG). Bottled the brett blend at 8 weeks (SG was stable for previous 3 weeks, 1.005, and the sourness and funk were to my liking).

Brett works slower, so I don't think you are going to have an issue whatever you do. Once thing is that it may make sense to hold off until secondary to reduce the risk of brett contamination in the primary. I used a fermenting bucket that now has "BRETT" written on the lid and bucket. I gave it a three-day soak in bleach solution but I will never "trust" it again.

The earlier you add the brett, the quicker the brett character will come through and the quicker your saison spice will start to disappear. I typically add brett in primary, giving the sacch a few days head start. Bottle anywhere from 6-12 weeks depending on when it reaches terminal gravity. 3-4 months old is usually the sweet spot for me, as that's when the brett begins to come through while you still maintain some of those lovely saison yeast characteristics. If you want quicker brett character, add it now. If you want it later, add it once primary is complete.

That is all great info. I had not considered the time that it would take to get the brett character where I want it and how that length of time would defeat the purpose of the dry hopping. The beer that I had in mind while brewing this was likely a blend now that I think about it. Anyways...new plan is too rack when the vigorous fermentation is done to a secondary with brett. After the brett is coming through I will add hops for a few days and then cold crash to get it as clear as possible. Then keg.
Thanks for all the help

Back