Brett L Belgian Golden Strong and Brett B Saison Partigyle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youreanimpulse

Reaction score
Thinking about brewing some partigyle in a month or so and the book American Sour Beers was inspiring with a very basic recipe that mentioned working great for second runnings from a big beer. This will be my first multiple step infusion mash. Looking for high fermentability and some light malt character. Not my first partigyle, but I had been splitting volume 50/50.

I used this chart to get my gravity calculations based on total batch OG of 1.061 and efficiency of 75%: http://morebeer.com/brewingtechniques/library/backissues/issue2.2/moshertable.html

Brett L Golden Strong
3.5 gal OG: ~1.092 FG: ~1.007 11.2% ABV 32 IBU (Tinseth) 3.9L SRM

24 lb Pilsen (95%)
1 lb Wheat (Flaked) (4%)
4 oz CaraPils (1%)

Infusion mash:
7.52 gal (1.24 qt/lb) at 124F to get 113F 20 mins
4.36 gal at 212F to get 146F 45 mins
2.34 gal at 212F to get 156F 30 mins

That should get me to 6.25 gallons for the boil, software says.

120 min boil:
.75 oz Green Bullet (10%AA) 60 min
.75 oz Hallertauer (5%AA) 15 min
1 oz Hallertauer (5%AA) 0 min

Yeast: WLP530 Abbey Ale and WL5526 Brettanomyces Lambicus

Keep in primary, and probably near the 3-4 month mark based on flavor profile:
.5 oz white wine soaked medium toast French Oak chips (to taste (7-14 days)
Dry hop: 1 oz Calypso 7 days

Brett B Second Runnings Saison
OG: ~1.046 FG: ~1.007 5.1% ABV 19 IBU 3.7°L SRM
7 gal batch (10.36 gal second runnings from the first one)

90 min boil:
.75 oz Green Bullet (10%AA) 60 min
1 oz Calypso 0 min

Yeast: WLP670 American Farmhouse Blend (repitch, I'll brew when that one's done)

I am wondering how fermentation temps could affect the Belgian Strong. I'm assuming I should go for mid-60s for the first few days and then let it free rise? Looking for no fusels if possible, but nice esters for the Brett to play with.

Did you ever brew this? I'm considering a similar setup, and I'm curious how it turned out? Did you pitch WL530 and the WL5526 at the same time?

So unfortunately no, I ended up doing a 10 gal golden strong/golden Barleywine split between Ardennes and S04 (Ardennes wins, btw). I used the Brett L in an IPA that was awesome and have repitched in a few of my wild/sour experiments. One of those is an RIS, kind of the evil twin of this idea. If I did it now I would definitely pitch them at the same time. And I would use either ECY Abbaye or Ardennes or maybe try something new. I'm not as into 530 after comparing it on a couple back to back Quads.

Back