Brett C Old Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 197168

Reaction score
I'm wanting to brew a big old ale similar to the one in Brewing Classic Styles. I have the wort cubed and ready to go, now to the yeast. I was thinking of going with WLP007 English Dry and then finishing off with some WLP645 Brett C. I realise 007 may not leave much for a lot of brett C character, but I'm ok with that.

So can I just throw both vials into my 2.5 litre starter and let them duke it out? I figure that the 007 will take off fast and the 645 not so much, and that would be fine. That said, it seems the more I read the more confused I get.

Any advice much appreciated!

If I were you I would just pitch the wlp007, let that ferment for a couple weeks on its own, then pitch 1 of the brett vials and let sit for 3-4 months then taste. I've done an old ale this way that was pretty tasty. You could also just pitch the brett vials straight into the fermentor when you pitch the wlp007. Both ways will produce the flavors you are looking for.

If I were you I would just pitch the wlp007, let that ferment for a couple weeks on its own, then pitch 1 of the brett vials and let sit for 3-4 months then taste. I've done an old ale this way that was pretty tasty. You could also just pitch the brett vials straight into the fermentor when you pitch the wlp007. Both ways will produce the flavors you are looking for.

I did this, along the lines of OP, and got a lot of Brett character but it took half a year for the Brett C to shine. What I got was a pretty strong pineapple flavor that didn't work with the black treacle and dry hops. I wish I'd used something more like Brett L or Brux.

007 should work. Maybe add some maltodextrin to fermentation.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Now I'm a little concerned whether the brett is really the way I want to go with this old ale. I've heard mixed opinions. Perhaps I'll ferment with the 007 as normal then split the batch and brett half of it. An each way brett (so to speak).

Wow! Bad joke.

I'd imagine if I pitched a whole vial in 10 litres of old ale it wouldn't be a problem, would it?

personally i would pitch in secondary.

I was thinking of going with WLP007 English Dry and then finishing off with some WLP645 Brett C. I realise 007 may not leave much for a lot of brett C character, but I'm ok with that.
007 should work. Maybe add some maltodextrin to fermentation.

don't worry about leaving sugars for brett in secondary. in fact the classic brett aromas and flavors you're looking for don't come from brett fermenting sugars - they come from brett transforming the byproducts of sacch. sugars, including maltodextrine, are not needed.

I'd imagine if I pitched a whole vial in 10 litres of old ale it wouldn't be a problem, would it?
the brett C? yes, that should be fine.

Thanks guys! I'm going to cover both bases. I'll split the batch then brett half of it with brett C.

Don't back down.

I'd bet a round that should you split it, you will regret not using brett in the whole batch.

Hahahaaaa! Yeah, I'll see how I go. I like to finalise these decisions at the last minute.

I'm not THAT concerned with the possibility of losing a whole batch. It has happened before (my Lemon Verbena Wheat Beer being one such dumper). It's more the fact that if it is going to be a beer I sit on for 9+ months, to then try it and not like it would kill me!

Do you have an example of what you're looking for?

My Brett C old ale came out unexpectedly like a screwdriver cocktail made with beer. :cross: Maybe it went too long with Brett or the hops (a ton of EKG) didn't mesh well. The beer was a failed attempt at Randy Mosher's Dragon's Milk Oktober Beer which only boiled down to 7.5G.

Apologies for the late reply. The beer that I am attempting is the Old Ale from Brewing Classic Styles. In it he mentions that the old ale has a "subtle sourness and other funky stuff going on."

That would be all I was after. I was under the initial impression that Brett C would provide this. The White Labs website touts it as "low intensity" and "more aroma than flavour contribution".

It seems from people who have used it (at least in this thread) that may not be the case.

A lot of what you get out from Brett depends what you put in.

In my case there was enough EKG hops (~1 oz/gal) to give that orangey/woodsy flavor that faded out over time and was reassembled by Brett into more of a pineapple note. Oxidation over time may have played a part but most of the aging was in a keg. Some Falconer's Flight and Palisade ended up in there from topping off the keg with an APA. I was sampling every two or three months and then forgot about it for a while. One year after brewday I didn't like the result.

I'd say stick with your plan, add the Brett C after the initial fermentation and check up on every month until you get the character you want.

Back