Bread baking help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r4dyce

Reaction score
Hello,

Wondering if there are any bakers out there that might be able to help. Recently made some bread following this recipe: https://leitesculinaria.com/93789/recipes-5-minute-artisan-bread.html

Followed the recipe as written. Had a really healthy rise after 2 hours. Made my dough ball. Rested for 40 minutes on my pizza peel. Cooked on a pizza stone that was preheated for about an hour. Cooked it for 35 minutes at 450. At that point it didn't look done but instant read clocked at 210. I took it out. It has an awesome crispy crust but the loaf is very flat, dense, and super pale. Top bottom and sides are all pale raw dough colored. It looks like it barely rose at all in the oven and didn't brown at all. Again the crust is awesome and the flavor is great, but too dense. (I didn't know you could have a crispy crust without browning.) I'd also note the loaf didn't have a crackly "sing" when I took it out as the author of that recipe states.

Any ideas what went wrong here?

Thanks!

You may have pressed out all of your gases while forming the dough ball. This recipe says not to deflate the dough. Typically I would expect a no knead recipe to be less impressive though because kneading is what builds up the structure in the gluten and allows it to trap gases inside which gives your dough more lift.

Back