Brazilian Chopp Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pinga, is a popular name of cachaça, they are the same thing! strong as hell and very popular here!:ban:

Pinga, is a popular name of cachaça, they are the same thing! strong as hell and very popular here!:ban:

That's funny! I must have really mispronounced cachacha in my drunken state where she didn't recognize it, only to have her pull out a bottle of pinga a little later.:drunk:

OK, I'm on a mission to find a bottle on pinga in central Florida.

BTW - Thai Mekong whiskey is on the list too.

Keep an eye out for a brand called Copa Cachaça....I have a friend who has been developing an importing business to bring high end cachaça (such as was referred to by Indyking a few posts back) to the US, and some areas of FL are going to be one of their first venues...

StuporMan

I lived in Orlando a few years ago, and i remember to see cachaça in a few liquor store, but it is easy to find in brazilian stores like Alô Brazil, and maby in some mexican markets.
Let me know if you cant find, i will try to help you!

Cachaça is not difficult to find in liquor stores in states with lots of Brazilians, like FL and MA; however, the artisanal ones are a rare commodity in the US. The Cachaça farms in the Brazilian states of Minas Gerais (especially around the city of Salinas) and Rio de Janeiro has historically the best artisanal cachaças in the world, so if anyone is interested in high quality, the origin of the cachaça can help. Also, don’t forget EBay... you can even find the cachaça Anísio Santiago at eBay, which is known as a rare product with the finest quality, perhaps the best of all cachaças! Here in the link… notice the price!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Anisio-Santiago-Havana-brazilian-cachaca-limited-RARE-/220655558156

Folks, I'm brazilian and a homebrewer beginner and I can say that Choop is far form being a beer style, it is just an unpasteurized pilsner served on tap, and as far as I know the word Chopp came from a German volume unity equivalent to 300 ml.

The word chopp on the BRAHMA CHOPP brand doesn't imply that the beer in this case is unpasteurized, actually if it comes in bootle it is, although they have their chopp version as well on tap - unpasteurized pilsner.

I totally agree with the folks here pointing out that the avarage brazilian brew industry deserves no more than one star, however the craft and home brew culture is sailing and today it is possible to find much better beer on supermakes shelves not to mention the pubs and brewpubs that are sprouting in most big cities - I myself have a - dream - project to set up a brewpub.

I also have to admit Brazilians don't understand beer the way it is perceived in Europe or America, we (they) undestand beer as ice-cold pilsners, but we need to look back to history to understand that until few year ago you couldn't find almost anything else - except from few Bock or Malzbier styles.

Chopp is indeed a cheap and unspectacular beer but due its freshness it is, at least, slighlty better than the avarage shelf beer that taste sometimes recycled toilet water.

All I can say is that it is changing for good and fast. Luckly, I live close by an excellent brewpub and go there often and they serve there an excellent variety of first-class ales. Lagom Brewpub.

I have worked in pubs both in Brazil and England and althought I'm inexperienced about brewing I know this industry from insideout from both sides.

Chopp(e) is simply draft beer as opposed to bottled beer. Most of these are pasteurized macro-lagers produced by enormous conglomerates like Ambev. Unlike American draft systems, where kegs, lines and faucets are all refrigerated; due to the high relative cost of energy in Brasil, most kegs are held at ambient temperatures. Chopp(e) is served like our Jockey box thru a cold plate and faucets are frequently chilled with ice. ¨Lata¨ is PT for ¨can¨ and ¨Garrafa¨ is ¨bottle.¨ My PT isn´t great; but if you would like me to translate an article you´ve found, I´d be happy to forward it to Brasilian friends who can make a much better translation than I could. BTW the Google translator works pretty well; Brasilians refer to the ¨head¨ as ¨collar¨; this may help to make sense of the translation that Beezer94 found.

Another linguistics note: ¨Pinga¨ means drip or drop and is a colloquial term for cachaca. They are the same thing. Pinga comes from the dripping action as the liquor is collected from the still.

Well my two centavos worth ..I'm an english guy living in São Paulo for the past ten years .
It was the lack of decent examples of my beloved stouts, bitters and milds (I'm a Yorkshireman) that drove me to to embark upon this marvellous adventure we call homebrew.
Thankfully now that's changing and some good examples are emerging from micro-breweries like Colorado http://www.cervejariacolorado.com.br/home.php

They do an IPA with rapadura which for me outshines examples from back home .

The problem is that most craft beers tend to be beyond the reach of the man on the street because of the price . So Inbev reigns supreme! (crap beer)
However a well served choppe( draught beer) can be good with nice lacing and a very dense head (collar) hiding a refreshing pilsner lager underneath, the dark version that iv'e tried tends to be lacking in malt backbone but i guess its kinda like a very light porter or a nutt brown.
but with both these beers the impressive thing is the head like shaving foam.
But i still can't get used to the fact that the bar guy takes away the glass before Iv'e drunk the last dreggs and brings me another one wether i want it or not ..
As a rule of thumb if a bottled beer costs less than 8 reais 4 dollars avoid it like the plauge.
To the OP i guess i would make a basic pilsen lager maybe with a bit of oates for creaminess and go heavy on the nitro and stout faucet, same for the brown version :)

Latest posts

Back