Bray's One Month Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Disaster struck (small disaster) It wasn't a volcano or geyser, it was a tidal wave. Using the stirring wand in an electric drill was a bad idea in a straight-sided pail full almost to the top. I lost at least a cup of must, which is a lot when I only have about 5 quarts. I transferred it all to a barrel-shaped container with a shoulder; it holds just over 2 gallons. I will use that container right from the start next time and make about 6 quarts.

The preserves have totally broken up and there's mushy fruit on top now. It smells wonderful. The must is very milky-looking now from all the yeast, and a light apricot color. The stuff on the floor very quickly smelled not-wonderful because I didn't clean it up very well at first. After it dried, another damp mopping with some Lysol took care of it.

I bottled the apricot mead about a month ago in those 13-ish ounce stubby gingerale bottles, with a half teaspoon of sugar and a crown cap. I didn't think it would carbonate. I opened one yesterday. It is lightly carbonated and very clear, with a nice yellow color from the apricots. It smells good and tastes good but I don't have the experience to describe it. Doesn't necessarily smell like apricots but it is fruity. It is also really hides the alcohol and you could hurt yourself with this stuff. I'm going to let the rest of the bottles age another month, then it will probably disappear fast.

The mead I left in a 55 degree house jan 4th is still not clearing even though it was looking like it was clearing after just 5 days of TOSNA feeding after starting it on a yeast cake. Is it a stuck fermentation, and I am thinking I'll go to secondary with it because it seems like it is starting to clear but somehow doesn't have the core temperature up to do so.
20220301_085350.jpg

Then the fully fermented one I put in secondary Dec 31st seems to be nice and clear and tightly flocculated etc.
I am thinking of adding a little more honey instead of priming sugar when bottling. Maybe less than 1/4lb in 5 gal
20220301_085402.jpg

What do Y'all think ?

I want to get away from using the water jug (because it has no tap) secondary. So my idea is ti get a 5gal bottle with a tap, siphon off the water jug into that, add honey to it and bottle it out of that with the helpful tap. Then put the non clearing batch into that secondary with the flocculated yeast lees stirred in from the water jug. So it hopefully starts to get "unstuck". Of course I'll start a new batch in the primary with 12lb or so honey in a 5 gal must.

My first ever "bottling". Plenty of fermenting and drinking BTW, just no bottling.
I bottled 4 gal of mead yesterday.
It was good to almost 10% abv I think. Had 11lb honey in 5 gal must. FG just under 1.00. Put it in 42 12oz bottles and 2 cam lock 32oz.
I used 1lb honey as "priming" and that was my rookie mistake, too much of it ended up in the bottom, and well ended up in the last cam lock bottle.
I'll be observing that for exploding and if it doesn't for a week, I may just start with the others using this as a little flavoring because I suspect its far too sweet and the taste sample I pulled was a bit too dry.
I suspect its all too dry except the last bottle. I actually prefer dry, but let me see if I dislike it at some point.
And I used Voss Kveik yeast, and its a much more drinkable mead right out of the secondary than champagne yeast.

I compared the mead to a commercial mead from a local meadery. Fox Hill for those who are interested.
The store bought mead was stated as semi sweet, was, well extremely good. However it is far too sweet for what I was shooting for.
I took a gravity reading of it. 1.006. Mine was .997 or so. I started at 1.08 (including the botched honey addition at bottling) and was bottled at .997.
Obviously I am not pasturizing or filtering, so I get sediment in the bottle with flocculation etc etc.
Mine being bottle conditioned may improve if I let it sit for longer, but other than the sediment and the little bit of a bite from the mead as well as the complete lack of sweetness which was intended, I certainly would call mine a success.
Hope the batch I have going now clears and makes a good mead. Then its time to clean the bottle and restart with new yeast and raisins etc.
The honey flavors are obvious in mine without the sweetness, and in the store bought its there in spades running well with the sweetness.
I actually didn't find fully dry mead at all fox hill or otherwise in that store. I was hoping to get a dry one to compare apples to apples. Will try again in a few weeks after this batch is done I guess.

PS: That mead came in a wine bottle and had no carbonation. I guess that's OK too. But I was hoping to get it carbonated. Which is very light in mine.

Getting my stuff together to get a BOMM and a JOA BOMM started after the holiday. Should give then time to lay down and make good gifts. Mylocal does not carry any Wyeast, so I have to sort that out also so far all I can find is clover or wildflower honey...so might have to order it as well....Still need to try Costco

When I get back from a weekend of fun and music for Labor Day, I am ordering 2 of the Lil Big Mouth Bublers made of glass with the spigot

T

Getting my stuff together to get a BOMM and a JOA BOMM started after the holiday. Should give then time to lay down and make good gifts. Mylocal does not carry any Wyeast, so I have to sort that out also so far all I can find is clover or wildflower honey...so might have to order it as well....Still need to try Costco

When I get back from a weekend of fun and music for Labor Day, I am ordering 2 of the Lil Big Mouth Bublers made of glass with the spigot

T
There are places that you can get the yeast shipped from, but, you'll have to pay extra for ice packs to keep it chilled....even then, it will probably arrive already swollen & ready to be used. You can get it here....

https://www.morebeer.com/products/wyeast-1388-belgian-strong-ale.html
BOMM without Orange Blossom honey, (or the 1388 yeast, for that matter) is just not BOMM.
There are plenty of sources to find Orange Blossom honey. Here are just a few....

https://mvabeepunchers.com/honey/bulk-honey-wax/https://www.smileyhoney.com/collections/raw-honey-varieties/products/orange-blossom-honeyhttps://www.walkerhoneyfarm.com/orange-blossom-honey/https://flyingbeeranch.net/product/raw-orange-blossom-honey/
BOMM is a great mead that has been a crowd pleaser since I started making it, but, remember, If you deviate from the recipe, all bets are off & you get what you get.😉
I hope this helps you.
Happy meading :cool:

yeah yeah yeah, fine print, voided warranty...lol....i have read almost all 47ish pages
I was just coming back to ask if there are any "off the shelf" honnies I should avoid....

Take Nature Nate;s I read good things, top 10 honey...and I read bad things..heated, toxins, heavy metals....
And I think I read either here, the Denard Brewing site, or gotmead, that clover or wildflower honey would work as well

yeah yeah yeah, fine print, voided warranty...lol....i have read almost all 47ish pages
I was just coming back to ask if there are any "off the shelf" honnies I should avoid....

Take Nature Nate;s I read good things, top 10 honey...and I read bad things..heated, toxins, heavy metals....
And I think I read either here, the Denard Brewing site, or gotmead, that clover or wildflower honey would work as well
Not saying it won't make good mead, it just won't be BOMM.😝 I'm sure it will still make a very drinkable product.😋

Have a question for all you BOMM makers... (uh, oh, hope that doesnt get one on a list, these days...)

I have my first BOMM percolating away... and percolating, and percolating...

Long story sort of short, got the 1388, it sat in my fridge a long time, was just a bit past it's date. Smacked the pak, (wasn't previously broken)
and it barely swelled at 2.5hrs. I did allow it an hr or so to rise to room temp beforehand. A bit concerned, but seemed there was some swelling, pitched it into my gallon batch anyway.

Took a while getting started, and has been fermenting very slowly since then. Did two feedings, since it was 1.110 when it started. (I overshot a bit) Been 20 days now, and it's not done yet, it's at 1.018... I've been keeping it at 68F in a ferm chamber. Also have been watching pH, it never got very low. (3.65 pH, lowest measurment)

So, wondering what those who have made BOMM's/used 1388 a lot, think about the behavior? It never had a strong, fast ferment, and I see a few to many whispy trails or clumps of yeast on the surface, occasional large bubble in them. Wispy, not fibrous or fuzzy, so I doubt its a mold.

Just wondering the chances that I had a fully dead pack, and this is some odd yeast in the honey, or something... or just an extreme underpitch. From reading, I had the impression that 1388 takes off strong, and you're usually done in 7 days or so. At least it doesn't smell or taste bad...

Well, how about it? Anyone with 1388 experience want to comment on how it usually behaves?

So while I am at work I can not log into either of the sites that have the current BOMM protocol, is there anyway to get the OG post edited with the most current recipe? I think the main differences is the SNA, but looking to place an order on Amazon today and want to make sure I have all the things I need.

Thank you

So while I am at work I can not log into either of the sites that have the current BOMM protocol, is there anyway to get the OG post edited with the most current recipe? I think the main differences is the SNA, but looking to place an order on Amazon today and want to make sure I have all the things I need.

Thank you
Bray's website has the most up to date recipe.
BOMM recipe
👇👇👇👇
https://www.denardbrewing.com/blog/post/brays-one-month-mead/

the You to brew page?
Will have to look when I get home after work, it is bookmarked on my laptop
yes, under ingredients he lists the dry yeast alternatives. From my own experience, Mangrove Jack mead also works quite well and Lutra makes also a really good mead. One of my favourite meads up until today I made with Lutra. But The mangrove Jack yeast is really cheap and also a solid choice. Still have some packs flying around, will try it in store bought apple juice and see if I get something drinkable :D.

yes, under ingredients he lists the dry yeast alternatives. From my own experience, Mangrove Jack mead also works quite well and Lutra makes also a really good mead. One of my favourite meads up until today I made with Lutra. But The mangrove Jack yeast is really cheap and also a solid choice. Still have some packs flying around, will try it in store bought apple juice and see if I get something drinkable :D.
Shopping today, might pick up some other Dry yeast for later meads. I want to get these going using the BOMM method so I can turn around a few batches and possibly have some ready to bottle for Christmas.

It is amazing how vibrant this thread is considering it started almost a decade ago! Proof of concept for sure!
It does not look like Dr. Bray is still active, but his contribution cannot be overstated!

T

Shopping today, might pick up some other Dry yeast for later meads. I want to get these going using the BOMM method so I can turn around a few batches and possibly have some ready to bottle for Christmas.

It is amazing how vibrant this thread is considering it started almost a decade ago! Proof of concept for sure!
It does not look like Dr. Bray is still active, but his contribution cannot be overstated!

T
He usually shows up here from time to time, but as I have just seen, loveofrose has not been online this year and also cannot be linked to here. I hope he is ok.

T
Dr. Bray is active on discord, You To Brew (YTB) channel

I am willing to answer any questions to help you make this wonderful mead!
Yes, this is an old post, but recently discovered. All the local home brew shops have discontinued Wyeast. Your recipes calls for number 1388. Do you have an alternative yeast? What other Belgian strong yeast might work? Are Belgian dry yeasts an option? Thanks for your time and all the effort you have put in

Yes, this is an old post, but recently discovered. All the local home brew shops have discontinued Wyeast. Your recipes calls for number 1388. Do you have an alternative yeast? What other Belgian strong yeast might work? Are Belgian dry yeasts an option? Thanks for your time and all the effort you have put in
Dr. Bray Denard did a yeast experiment to find out which yeast performed best. Here's a link to the article he wrote about it on his website.
👇👇👇👇👇👇
https://www.denardbrewing.com/blog/post/ale-yeast-experiment-belgian-bomm-one-month-mead/
I hope this helps you.
Happy meading 😎

I used it once. Definitely left more "chimay-ish" flavor, which aged out after a year or 2.
My taster is not the strongest, so I may be missing those notes. Also, I last used it for a blueberry session and it turned out great. I still have a couple bottles in the fridge. Then I have to make more. :mug:

3 gal batch
1 5lb jar costco honey
1 jar Trader Joe's Blueberry juice at creation
1 tsp Fermaid O
1 pack Llalamand Abbeyale Yeast rehydrated in the Fermaid O and some water.
water to 3 gals

warm RO water to better dissolve the honey, mix all ingredients, pitch the yeast and degas regularly for the first few days. Since I was doing a small batch with not so much sugar I did not do the full TONSA. The finished mead is very tasty but somewhat dry and the blueberry is very subtle. If you want more BB I'd say stabilize and add another bottle of the juice at bottling, or another bottle of juice at high k. this way it will still dry out, but hopefully leave more of the flavor around. I hope you make some and enjoy it. :mug:

I use 1388 for most of my meads. For the most part, it behaves as it should. It has a pretty fair temperature range & if you keep it fed & happy
, no worries.
Sigh...

While it is good to know it is a well behaved yeast, I was looking for responses describing HOW it behaves and looks, typical time of fermentation in the BOMM protocol, etc. so I might have a chance on geting a clue why I followed the protocol closely, and my batch is STILL fermenting 40 days from pitch.

Can anyone help me with my original question, what does a typical 1388 ferment look and act like?

Latest posts

Back