Brau Supply crush

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stupidsexyflanders

Reaction score
Got it put together and all cleaned up. They recommend an extra fine crush in the manual. What should I set my mill at?

Thanks!

Not sure you're understanding the OP's question. The OP just got a recirculating eBIAB system. This type of system is known to have problems when too fine of a crush is used.

I'm inferring from your response that you do not have a recirculating eBIAB system.

@Stupidsexyflanders, take note that some of the responses you're getting may not be apples to apples comparisons with your system. I would take typical precautions.
-Condition your grain to keep more husks intact.
-Start with a mill gap of 0.040. If this works, then feel free to narrow the gap on the second batch you make.
-Wait 5-10 minutes after dough in before starting the pump.
-Slowly increase the flow of the pump by throttling the discharge with a valve or a hose clamp. Do not start it with the flow wide open.
-Keep an eye on the liquid level. If it starts creeping up, then this is an indication that you're pumping too fast, emptying the volume below the bag quicker than it is falling through it.

Hope some of this helps you have a successful inaugural brew day on your new system. Which one did you purchase?

Not sure you're understanding the OP's question. The OP just got a recirculating eBIAB system. This type of system is known to have problems when too fine of a crush is used.

I'm inferring from your response that you do not have a recirculating eBIAB system.

@Stupidsexyflanders, take note that some of the responses you're getting may not be apples to apples comparisons with your system. I would take typical precautions.
-Condition your grain to keep more husks intact.
-Start with a mill gap of 0.040. If this works, then feel free to narrow the gap on the second batch you make.
-Wait 5-10 minutes after dough in before starting the pump.
-Slowly increase the flow of the pump by throttling the discharge with a valve or a hose clamp. Do not start it with the flow wide open.
-Keep an eye on the liquid level. If it starts creeping up, then this is an indication that you're pumping too fast, emptying the volume below the bag quicker than it is falling through it.

Hope some of this helps you have a successful inaugural brew day on your new system. Which one did you purchase?

Thanks for the pointers, did a test today, everything works, going live tomorrow, fingers crossed!

Back