Brau Brothers Ring Neck Braun Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BroadStreetBrewery

Reaction score
A friend of mine really likes Brau Brothers Ring Neck Braun Ale and I am a newb. If we can get this close I think we will have another home brewer on our hands. Here is what I have come up with so far.

Ok, so I took a look at the Brau Brothers Ringneck Braun Ale and here is what I could find from their website.

http://www.braubeer.com/RingneckBraunAle.aspx

They almost spell it out, but not quite. Here is what I could figure out for ingredients from their website.

Grains: (Supposed to be 6 of them)
Biscuit malt
Toasted Oats
Crystal Malt (from picture)
Chocolate Malt

Hops:
Fuggles
East Kent Goldings

Yeast:
English Ale Yeast

Our recipe:

8lbs - Pale Malt, Maris Otter
1.25 lbs- Toasted Oats
.75 lbs - Biscuit Malt
.75 lbs - CrystalMalt 60L
.50 lbs - Victory Malt
.25 lbs - Chocolate Malt

1 oz - East Kent Goldings (60 min boil)
1 oz - Fuggle (30 min boil)
.5oz - Fuggle (10 min boil)

English Ale White Labs WLP002 Yeast

What you think? Any changes you think I should make?

Edit: After rereading the website, I see it is a double nut brown ale. Would I double up just the base grain or all grains.

It is 6.8% ABV, so as long as you have an OG in the mid-1.060s you'll be fine (at 70% efficiency you could use another 2 lbs of pale).

I think you might have a bit too much toastiness going on with the toasted oats, biscuit, and victory (not to mention the Maris Otter). I would probably cut those specialty malts in half and just add more Maris Otter. It would probably be fine as is, more of a personal preference issue.

Otherwise sounds like a nice recipe, good luck.

Yo, did you brew this and how did it turn out? I'm trying to figure out how they get that raspberry flavor into this beer. Is it one of the dark grains, or is it from raspberry extract. It's quite unique.

I did brew it up, just bottled it last week. I am not sure the raspberry flavor as I have only had a few beers. I brewed this for a friend, we will see how it turns out and I will report back.

Try calling/emailing them. Maybe they will share the recipe with you or give you a few pointers, especially after you have written up a recipe maybe they can tell you how close you are.

From looking at the link to the picture I realized that their "toasted oats" is actually Simpson golden naked oats. Do a research of these, they look exactly what is in the picture of grain on their website. They do also add a unique flavor contribution as well.

I have confirmed with the brewer at Brau Brothers that they do in fact use a somewhat large portion of Golden Naked Oats to get the Nutty/Raspberry flavor that is ever present in their Braun ale!

Great stuff, this is one of my favorite "brauns" as well!
Howd id turn out Holmes??

Back